Fish Out Of Water

DOUGHBOYS

Fish Out Of Water

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:43 am

Somebody on the MLB Network said, "Those poor Miami Marlins!", yesterday.
How can anybody feel sorry for this franchise?
They made their bed.
The new owners have spent most of their money in obtaining a franchise that was one of the most poorly run in baseball.
They've stripped themselves of any high salaries and the players attached to those salaries, along with any players of relevance to Major League Baseball.
Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Bour, Realmuto, gone.

The only thing that has kept the Marlins in the news are former players.
They are the only franchise in baseball who have an owner and Manager who are more recognizable than ANY of their players.
Now that JT Realmuto has been traded, the Marlins will be out of the news for a very long time.
Sure, they'll pop up with minor items like the trading of Starlin Castro, Dan Straily, Jose Urena, or sign has-beens like Carlos Gonzalez or Carlos Gomez.
Blips on the baseball richter scale.

The Marlins first pick in NFBC drafts is either Drew Steckenrider or Brian Anderson.
Steckenrider because of his job.
Anderson because...well...somebody has to be the first Marlin picked.
The Marlins have rid themselves of any player who hit more than 12 homers last year.
Their Opening Day pitcher, Jose Urena, is more well known for striking Ronald Acuna Jr. with a pitch than his actual ability.
Except for Steckenrider, they've also traded any back end of the bullpen help.
They're stripped.
If one word can describe the Marlins, it would be...Custer

They come into the season with the barest of bones and play in a division of carnivore's.
If Atlanta, New York, Washington, or Philadelphia lose ANY game to Miami, it would be similar to losing a game of H-O-R-S-E to our little sister.
Worse, there is no future for Miami.
They did not receive top prospects for their stars.
They received bits and pieces of hope.
They are refurbishing their place of play that looked like an amusement park, not a baseball park on television.
It begs the question, WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO COME TO THE BALL PARK IN MIAMI?
Derek Jeter pleads with the fans to 'show patience'.
Who PAYS for patience?
It is simply, a bad product.
Like a cop turning away onlookers at an accident scene, "THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS, MOVE ON!"
The excitement of Jeter owning a team is no longer 'a thing'.
The Marlins are not rebuilding like the Astros or Cubs did.
They're stripped to the bone.
They have not one player in the Majors or Minors to hang their hat on.
The Astros and Cubs had that.
Worse, there does not seem to be a plan in place except for 'dollar storing' the franchise.
And heck, the previous owners did that too.
So whoever made the comment of "Poor Marlins", you got it wrong.
You should have said, "Poor Marlins Fans, now and for the future."
But, that would be a slap at Derek Jeter, wouldn't it?
And nobody does that.
Especially on MLB Network.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Thurman15

Re: Fish Out Of Water

Post by Thurman15 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am

I love Derek Jeter but he has done a horrible job. You are dead right Dan. Pathetic organization, with no future. I bet a lot of MLB fans, without looking too close, think they have a young team that will continue to gain experience. Wrong !! They are projected to start the following players.

Curtis Granderson 38
Neil Walker 33
Martin Prado 35
Starlin Castro 29
Miguel Rojas 30

Starting pitchers
Wei Yin Chen 34
Dan Straily 30

Closer Sergio Romo 36

Regulars that are actually under 30 years old are projected for the following batting averages

Lewis Brinson and Jorge Alfaro roughly .235 each (with massive strikeout totals)
Peter O'Brien .196 ( some say if he works hard it could rise to .201

Prospects ?? They have Sixto Sanchez who does project to be a good starting pitcher. Do you know who is # 3 on their prospect list ??

Monte Harrison. Outfielder. Put up decent numbers in AA.....at 23 years old ? Too old for AA. Here is a direct quote from his scouting profile.
“Yeah, but that strikeout rate though”. Yes, Harrison led all of minor league baseball with 215, a mark that would have ranked second in the majors in 2018. He is at present a 20-grade hitter who can’t handle offspeed pitches and lacks pitch recognition. This is what’s singlehandedly keeping him from reaching his potential. So he is a 20 grade hitter.!! And the 3rd best prospect. !! What an ugly organization.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Fish Out Of Water

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

Thurman15 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am
I love Derek Jeter but he has done a horrible job. You are dead right Dan. Pathetic organization, with no future. I bet a lot of MLB fans, without looking too close, think they have a young team that will continue to gain experience. Wrong !! They are projected to start the following players.

Curtis Granderson 38
Neil Walker 33
Martin Prado 35
Starlin Castro 29
Miguel Rojas 30

Starting pitchers
Wei Yin Chen 34
Dan Straily 30

Closer Sergio Romo 36

Regulars that are actually under 30 years old are projected for the following batting averages

Lewis Brinson and Jorge Alfaro roughly .235 each (with massive strikeout totals)
Peter O'Brien .196 ( some say if he works hard it could rise to .201

Prospects ?? They have Sixto Sanchez who does project to be a good starting pitcher. Do you know who is # 3 on their prospect list ??

Monte Harrison. Outfielder. Put up decent numbers in AA.....at 23 years old ? Too old for AA. Here is a direct quote from his scouting profile.
“Yeah, but that strikeout rate though”. Yes, Harrison led all of minor league baseball with 215, a mark that would have ranked second in the majors in 2018. He is at present a 20-grade hitter who can’t handle offspeed pitches and lacks pitch recognition. This is what’s singlehandedly keeping him from reaching his potential. So he is a 20 grade hitter.!! And the 3rd best prospect. !! What an ugly organization.

Exactly right!

And of any players listed, is there one that you would actually pay money to see?
Even if their stadium was next door, I wouldn't pay to see those players!
What their fans (probably numbering in the hundreds by now) are forced to pay for is how the teams in their division destroy them.
Remember when teams were bad and their fans would show up with paper bags on their heads?
This year, one person should go in to the stadium and put a paper bag in each seat to signify that this team is not even good enough for a person to be in that paper bag.
This regime may as well have been the past regime. How does Miami get so lucky with these ownerships? :roll:
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!