Old School and Old Pitchers

DOUGHBOYS

Old School and Old Pitchers

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I just got done with my last year of supervising the local softball program. I've been involved with softball since my college baseball career ended.
As much as you folks see me as a fantasy baseball player is how folks look at me locally as the softball guy.
This past weekend, I was writing down all the picks in my notebook of all the picks from the second PreMature Draft.
A player came by and asked what I was doing. After telling him, he says, "Respect, that is so old school!.....But you know you can probably see it online, right?"
I told him I invented 'Old School'.

It's true, I write down every pick from every draft I have ever done. I've always done it that way. Back in the day, it kept me from repeating a pick.
Now, I just like having every draft documented in a notebook next to me.
It makes it easier to follow drafters alliances, trends of players moving up and down drafts with time, but more so, it acts as sort of an encyclopedia (speaking of old school) for me. I also like to look at roster construction from other drafters. Some, I may even emulate if liking their process.
It may not be with the same players, just a similar construct.

We're in round 13 of our second PreMature League Draft now.
I did not select a pitcher till the ninth round.
There were several factors at play here.

1. We just got done with a year in which a lot of pitchers looked pretty bad.
2. The opposite effect is that so many hitters look good.
3. Flat out, at this time of year, it is hard to measure almost ANY pitcher
4. Simply put, I hardly trust any pitcher.

Let's go with the last statement first.
Cole, Verlander, deGrom, Scherzer.
Those will be four of the top pitchers.
Cole will be on another team. Question marks abound as to whether he can replicate this year. Can he do it again? With some other team?
Verlander is old. Did not dominate in the post-season. The end coming?
deGrom doesn't get Wins. He Plays for a crappy organization who takes great pitching and does their best to screw them up. Again?
Scherzer is showing cracks. Mr. Consistency was inconsistent with health issues that made him look a little vulnerable on the mound.

So....there's the best. And they all have question marks.

Real good pitchers like Snell, Nola, Syndergaard, Bumgarner, Kluber, and Kershaw.
Each with their own bits and pieces of 'Oh crap'!
And it gets no better as we go on.
Sonny Gray, Giolito, Mike Minor, Odorizzi, etc had good years last year.
Are they repeatable?
I don't know.
Hey wait! I know! Let's ask Ron Shandler!

Dan: Hey Ron, who would be a good pitcher to draft for next year?

Ron: Well Dan, every pitcher you mentioned in this damned well-written post has had a good year at one time or another. This means that I can use the phrase that follows me everywhere. Once a player displays a skill on the field, he owns that skill.

Dan: How does that help me in who to draft next year?

Ron: Oh, it's of no help at all, but man, it sure makes me sound smart, right?

What I really believe is that 2020 will be the year of change for the pitcher.
Scherzer, Kershaw, Hamels, Bumgarner, Verlander, Lester and other pitchers will continue a slow fade.
Others, will come to the forefront.
Our job is to define the word, 'others'.

I love it. It will be mew and exciting to see mew Aces emerge as we bid adieu to those we have seen for so long.
I'm looking forward to it.
It'll be fun to watch these players display their skills and even better..... if WE own those skills.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!