Drafting Season

DOUGHBOYS

Drafting Season

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 am

Man, I love drafting again. The mind play of a draft keeps something on your mind all day.
' I drafted Gary Sanchez in the eighth round. I know roster construction cried for a pitcher, but....'
I get to go through my day with that thought...
The first thought when getting out of bed is not about work. It's...'Could I be up in the draft? '
Better than work!
Drafting season is awesome.
And the way we think during drafting season is different from in-season management.

During drafting season, we draft 'Aces'. Well, we think they're Aces.
When we have those same Aces on our roster for in-season Management, things change.
We drafted Noah Syndergaard as an Ace. Turns out, Lucas Giolito was our real Ace.
During drafting season, Giolito was a dart throw. In season, Syndergaard became that dart throw.

We draft backups. Sometimes, even backups for our backups.
Sometimes it really works out. Like taking Carson Kelly as Yadier Molina's backup.
Or even Travis d'Arnaud as Wilson Ramos backup.
We can call it skill at the end of the day, but we know it was just simple luck.
Bad skills was drafting Astudillo enamored with his 'put in play' skills, when Mitch Garver was the pick for his 'putting the ball OUT of play' skills.
Granted, Astudillo is fun to watch.

During draft season, we can see no way our team can be beat. After all, every pick was a gem!
We think this way because we all have a high consideration for the players we drafted.
We like them, we draft them.
The beauty of this is that we can go six months without being proved wrong.
It's awesome!
This is also part of the reason we draft so many teams.
We think to ourselves, "Self, can I possibly top that last one?"
And, we do!
At least in our minds.
Then....then
The season begins.
Flaws are brought out.
And we go from thinking, "I think this is the best team I ever drafted!" to..."What the Hell was I thinking?"

Draft season is nice. The regular season is cruel.
As said, draft season allows us to have our next or last pick on our minds most of the day.
We go through the day with a smile on our face, knowing our team is looking good.
During the season, we wonder how we're going to get screwed that night. And not in the good way that men like!

Enjoy drafting season. Enjoy it for months. It is Heaven.
After those months conclude, however.
Hell.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!