Stuff

DOUGHBOYS

Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Led by the recently signed, Ivan Nova (,303), 17 qualifying pitchers gave up a .260 batting average or worse last year.
All of these pitchers allowed at least 20 home runs.
Only one of those pitchers is being selected in the first 10 rounds of early drafts.
Max Fried (.270)

In what round would you select a hitter with numbers like these?......
.256/101/24/91/42
Yummy, right?
No such hitter exist.
Those are the numbers given up by Noah Syndergaard last year.

How bad was Wade Davis?
For every three innings pitched, he would average allowing four hits, two walks, a stolen base, an extra base hit, and three runs.
In just 42 innings, attempting thieves were 14 for 14 in stealing bases from him.
As if needing another hole in his game.

Who was the most unproductive every day player in baseball?
Look at these numbers...
He hit .275
108 hits
Reached base 130 times
21 extra base hits
22 stolen bases
Seems productive, right?
He scored 36 Runs
That's right, he scored just over one run a week.
This is why we're questioning Dee Gordon as even a decent player in fantasy circles.

Sometimes, you have to be a great hitter to accumulate some real bad stats.
The top nine players who have grounded into the most double plays are Hall of Fame players, or will be.
Last year, Albert Pujols extended his all time record by grounding into 21 more double plays. That makes 395 for Pujols.
Before the last couple of years, double plays were made for good hitters who can't run well.
Now we can add the "60 Percenter" or the guy who gives 60 percent effort once the ball is struck.
Manny Machado has led the league in GIDP two years running (or 60 percenting)

I love Anthony Rizzo. Love his game. I'm free to take Rizzo during Draft Champions, but I don't believe I have ever taken Rizzo in a Main Event.
Part of Rizzo's game is to be on top of the plate. So, he gets hit with pitches. A lot.
Rizzo has finished in the top five of getting HBP five years straight.
He has led baseball in getting HBP three years including last year.
117 times during those five years.
To my recollection, none have resulted in a trip to the D.L.
I just know I can change that if tabbing him for a Main Event team.

Total bases is one of my favorite stats. It takes durability. It takes power. And a little speed doesn't hurt either.
Lately, what is also needed is a large or unusual playing field.
For the last five years, the yearly leader in total bases have come from two teams.
Five different players, but just two teams.
The Red Sox and Rockies.
Here are the last five leaders in Total Bases.

2019- Rafael Devers
2018- JD Martinez
2017- Charlie Blackmon
2016- Mookie Betts
2015- Nolan Arenado

Can it happen again?
Yes.
The shortstops for both the Red Sox and Rockies finished in the top 15 of Total Bases last year.

Austin Meadows was a lot of things to a lot of fantasy players last year.
At the same time, Meadows was the only qualifying hitter NOT to do something at the plate.
The only one.
Nick Ahmed led the league with 12.
Austin Meadows was without a Sacrifice Fly.

In the last four years, Joc Pederson has had over 200 at bats vs. lefties.
Three home runs.
Last year.
Zero.

Tim Anderson walked 15 times in 2019.
He won the batting title.
It was the first time in history that a hitter led baseball in hitting while having the least walks.

Ichiro like?
Seventy five percent of Miguel Cabrera's hits last year, were singles. 106 of 139 hits.

Lastly, Albert Pujols has been on his farewell tour for a few years now. The sure-fire Hall of Famer is putting up accumulative records that won't be matched by hardly a soul.
But, there is a price to pay for a lengthy accumulation tour...
With the Cardinals during the first 11 years, Pujols batted .329
Playing out his career with the Angels has left Pujols standing at .300 going into 2020.
One of Mickey Mantle's most bitter disappointments was finishing his career, batting .298
Pujols, a much better hitter than Mantle, is on track for the same disappointment.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!