The Yahoo Kid and the NFBC

DOUGHBOYS

The Yahoo Kid and the NFBC

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

I listened to Mike the Mouth's podcast this morning. Although Mikey is always entertaining, the podcast was mostly not informational.
I can't blame Mikey or the host for not talking about 'their' players, but besides Syndergaard, they really didn't talk about any players at length.
But heck, it's always fun listening to MTM. The other guy, meh.
I sorta know both of their players anyway (No, I won't tell) since drafting against them in two or three DC's already.
Anyway, there was one point brought up during the podcast that I'd like to expound on...
Especially since I got into a little conversation with a local 'Yahoo Kid'.
'Yahoo Kid' is a fictional character. In his mind, he is the best fantasy player in the world.
But, he only proves this by entering free Yahoo leagues.

I was at a local event when a 20-something kid came up to me and said, "Who is the Closer for the Reds?"
I responded, "Right now, it is Raisel Iglesias, but it's fluid situation."
He says, "You passed the test."
I said, You give easy tests, I needed more teachers like you."
He went on to say that he had heard I played fantasy baseball in the NFBC and that that didn't necessarily make me a better player than he.
I sighed.
On the lookout for what I know was coming next.
"Just because you spend more money on fantasy baseball and maybe win some, doesn't make you a better player than me or thousands of other players playing fantasy baseball."
Again, I sighed.
I looked into his face. That was my face 40 years ago. I knew my baseball when I was that age and was anxious to show everybody that I knew my baseball.
This kid wanted to do the same.
I remembered the years playing local leagues, ESPN and Yahoo leagues. Then, the NFBC.

"You're playing Yahoo leagues and you're good, right?"
"The Best".He replied.
I said, "Then quit." "You have nothing left to prove. if you've been the best there, move up." "It is time to challenge yourself. If you can't afford a big league in the NFBC, do a small one. A $10, $50, or $150 league."
Because you are so wrong. The best players are at the NFBC. Here is the reason why. You have been winning free yahoo leagues for a few years. you think you're the best and it's time to step up to the plate against better players. For NFBC players who do well, you know where they go?"
"Where?", he asked.
"NOWHERE!"
"They are already in the Bigs. It's like Ronald Acuna Jr, saying, "I conquered this league, find me a better one!"
"There isn't one."

I continued, "Look Kid, the NFBC does have the best players in the world and it's NOT just because they have money."
"Do we have players that have money and can't play?"
"Heck yeah"
The Big leagues has Chris Davis who hasn't played at all well with lots of money. We have those same type guys"
But, like the Major Leagues, most of the players are legit and have climbed their way here from lower ranks like where you're at right now.
Get in the NFBC and win. That's the best way to prove how good you really are."
"If losing in the NFBC, you can say you tried and go back to dominating Yahoo."

We exchanged a few more items, then I gave him my phone number.
"Enter a $150 Draft Champions.
It's 50 rounds of fun. No trades, no transactions except for lineups.
Master THAT, then you can step up again to the Main Event.
When you've won a Main Event, come back to me and tell me that the best players in the world are not at the NFBC. I dare you."
He said, "I'm going to give it a try."
I said, "That's great, kid." "And you know what'll happen if you're successful?"
"No, what?"
A few years from now, some kid is going to tell you that he is just as good of a fantasy player as NFBC players....and you're going to sigh."
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Re: The Yahoo Kid and the NFBC

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm

I used to get invited to join local leagues. Leagues, usually mixed, with a core of five or six guys who stayed active most of the year, and are now desperate to keep their leagues with at least 10 teams.

I dropped my last local league (nice guys) a few years after I started playing in the NFBC (i.e. around the time I was hooked, gaffed, flopping in the bottom of the boat committed NFBC lifer). It just wasn't worth the time anymore because it wasn't as fun anymore.

Anyway, I do not get invited anymore. Within my social circle and at least three degrees of separation, people who need bodies might ask friends if I am interested in fantasy baseball. Most know I "do" high stakes fantasy baseball which translates into the NFBC. Since the NFBC ADP's are now industry standard, most fantasy baseball enthusiasts know what that means. I am no longer considered a fit for what they are looking for anymore. :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Thurman15

Re: The Yahoo Kid and the NFBC

Post by Thurman15 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Excellent article Dan. And a classic last couple of lines. Absolutely true as well. We know from the kerfuffle on Fangraphs that there are some jealous guys who don't like the NFBC guys. They think we brag too much. Well when an outsider cuts down the NFBC, of course we are going to both defend it, and brag about it. There is no real debate about where the best fantasy baseball players play. We don't THINK it is the NFBC.....we KNOW it is the NFBC. And although it is hard to "prove", I would bet there is more fun in the NFBC as well. But as you mentioned, it is easy for someone to brag.....if they have never played in the NFBC, they just don't have the credibility. I have run 5 pools here in Ottawa, Canada for 34 years. On Yahoo. I'm proud of them but if I had to make a choice, it would be easy. The NFBC is much better in all respects. The Yahoo Kid will find out. Great post Dan.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "