Heberlig and the Betts Trade

DOUGHBOYS

Heberlig and the Betts Trade

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am

I've gotten some notes from folks asking about Eric Heberlig. I do not know the man. I do know that he had one successful year in the NFBC.
The reason for the inquiries are the sheer amount of entries that Heberlig is accumulating in our contests.
He has entered virtually every Draft Champions league since January. He is entered in Roto Wire Leagues. He has at least six entries in our Main Events.
To some, his many entries in the DC's are troublesome.
One drafter tells me that Heberlig takes many of the same players he covets in every draft.
He feels a little 'screwed over' in that he has to face the same menace every draft.
I responded that he'll have to pick his battles and overdraft those players ahead of Heberlig if feeling strongly about those coveted players.
The best revenge if needing a form of revenge, I told him, is to win your league.
Heberlig is not breaking any rules. The NFBC loves the money that he is throwing into the pot.
By the same token, some drafters who only have a short window of drafting in January and February are tired of seeing him in their leagues.
That's understandable.
Folks are also upset that he does not draft swiftly nor communicate in drafts. A pain in the arse.
You just have to think to yourself that if entered in dozens of ongoing drafts, we would be a little slow to draft and not communicate as well. Right?
BUT, we don't think that way. That's his problem. We just want him to draft in a timely way.
I've drafted in the same drafts with him twice. He has telegraphed 'his players' by over drafting them in certain rounds.
It probably will not serve him well in the Main Events.
For drafters who are in drafts with him unil those Main Events, we simply have to tolerate him.
This too, shall pass. :) :(

The Mookie Betts trade went down last night.
Can you imagine?
The Dodgers only had to trade Alex Verdugo and Kenta Maeda for Mookie Betts and David Price.
Maeda was bound to get traded anyways after letting the Dodgers know that he didn't enjoy being in the bullpen during the last part of seasons.
Verdugo is a good piece, but one the Dodgers could easily let go.
It is well known that the Dodgers and Braves hold onto their prospects as tight as a homeless man holds onto a hamburger.
The Dodgers will rent Betts without letting go of any top prospect like Lux or May or even Ruiz.
The Dodgers also receive Price who has never pitched in the National League. If he can stay healthy, he may have a resurgence.

Who does this deal effect for fantasy?
It gives Verdugo a shot in the arm. He will rise.
Maeda may rise a bit in contemplation of more innings and a different league.
Cody Bellinger may be taken in the top five of EVERY draft.
Graterol will rise. We don't know the Red Sox intentions, but they need help desperately in the back of their bullpen.
Joc Pederson stays virtually the same.
The Red Sox lineup, as a whole, takes a bit of a hit.
Corey Seager, Lux, and Will Smith take a bit of a hit also. Somebody has to hit eighth in that lineup!

Now, the question is Francisco Lindor.
The Dodgers did not use many of their resources in renting Betts.
They even added a resource in Luis Rengifo.
Rengifo, Ruiz, and Gonsolin probably gets deal done with the Indians.
The Indians do not want Seager. Like Lindor, he has two years till free agency.
Seager would become yet another tradeable piece for the Dodgers or a platoon mate of Lux at 2B.
If Lindor is traded to the Dodgers, it would give them four fantasy first rounders. Bellinger, Betts, Buehler, and Lindor.
Man, this has been a fun off season!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Re: Heberlig and the Betts Trade

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:32 am

Does Heberlig enter DC Expresses?

Also, Heberlig has probably done over 50 drafts by now. I on the other hand, haven’t done any drafts. Do you think I’m at a disadvantage come the big leagues in March?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:45 am

Gekko wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:32 am
Does Heberlig enter DC Expresses?

Also, Heberlig has probably done over 50 drafts by now. I on the other hand, haven’t done any drafts. Do you think I’m at a disadvantage come the big leagues in March?
He doesn't enter DC Expresses that I know of...

I don't believe he attends live events either.

Mark, if I had to put my life on the line over who would win a league between Heberlig with his 1000 draft experiences or you and no drafts...
My life would be in your hands :lol:
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:44 pm

:twisted:

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:37 pm

We've all described ourselves as addicted to this game at one time or another, but managing this many teams would be simply onerous. I could see the allure of drafting this many squads, though, just because team construction is fun and this many drafts would allow you to try some wild stuff. Start out with eight hitters or seven pitchers? Punt BA and target nothing but power/speed guys? Why not?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:07 pm

GA may be a thing for him...and I don't mean Greg Ambrosius :lol:
He has had a lot of teams before, and as said, was successful one year that I know of.
I couldn't do it.
Grinding is a skill in drafters.
Some of us don't give up on any teams preferring to finish them out.
With that many teams, my grinding would grind to a halt.
I'm betting it does for him as well and that he discards some teams. To each their own in that regard.
It's true, he will know the player pool as well as anybody in the NFBC.
Still, even if knowing a pool well, a drafter can drown.
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 pm

I wonder if James Paxton was one of hereblig’s guys

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:40 pm

Heberlig is in only one of the six DC's I have completed, and it was a 1-hour clock

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Mapes - get your ass to NYC. There is still time!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:40 pm
Heberlig is in only one of the six DC's I have completed, and it was a 1-hour clock
He's only been in two of mine.
The drafters that are distraught are the signups who started lately. Heberlig has saturated DC's in most of January and February.
On my tombstone-

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 pm

He just timed out for the third time in the first five rounds of my current draft. He also has three 3B only players already.

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 pm

A couple of comments on Mr Heberlig. Timing out 3 times early in a draft in very disrespectful. I would be mad as well. But as for him annoying people by going in too many drafts, those people should be happy. If he picks foolishly then he won't be in contention and the other drafters have 1 less team to worry about. And he won't have any advantage by going in 50 drafts. We all know the ADP so in essence we HAVE been in numerous drafts. And picking players he knows another owner wants ? It is almost impossible to do that, so to me there are 2 separate issues.

A) He is not playing smart and has no advantage over anybody

B) He is being a prick by taking so much time, and timing out. If I had to guess, I would say he does it on purpose, because he knows guys are talking negatively about him. But that is being a real jerk. He could never do that face to face with the guys, because he would be in real trouble.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:20 pm

Gekko wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm
Mapes - get your ass to NYC. There is still time!
I am not going to make it to any live events this year. I hope to attend both NY and Vegas next year.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Dan I was checking out the sign ups for the main and it looks like Heberlig is signed up for 8 of 8 ME online drafts. Wow! I do a lot of leagues but this many ME and OC leagues with the FAAB would make my head explode!!!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Dan I was checking out the sign ups for the main and it looks like Heberlig is signed up for 8 of 8 ME online drafts. Wow! I do a lot of leagues but this many ME and OC leagues with the FAAB would make my head explode!!!
Crazy, isn't it?
I treat the Main Event with reverence. He is even doing two on the same night. To each their own.
I'm beginning to wonder that if he does win an Overall contest, would it still be possible to take home a net loss?
I believe that somebody has talked to him about expediency in drafting without timing out. It has helped, but there are still lapses.
A friend of mine is just plain tired of drafting with him in a league. He has drafted with him four times.
Now, he will only do DC Expresses in that it is the only way to escape him of late.
Another friend keeps entering DC's then pulling out when Heberlig enters.

All that aside, he is putting tons of money into the NFBC, a good thing.
It is his money and his life.
We all enjoy drafting and temper ourselves according to time and money.
Either he has an abundant supply of both or there should be concerns.
On my tombstone-

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 am
Gb2715 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Crazy, isn't it?
I treat the Main Event with reverence. He is even doing two on the same night. To each their own.
I'm beginning to wonder that if he does win an Overall contest, would it still be possible to take home a net loss?
I believe that somebody has talked to him about expediency in drafting without timing out. It has helped, but there are still lapses.
A friend of mine is just plain tired of drafting with him in a league. He has drafted with him four times.
Now, he will only do DC Expresses in that it is the only way to escape him of late.
Another friend keeps entering DC's then pulling out when Heberlig enters.

All that aside, he is putting tons of money into the NFBC, a good thing.
It is his money and his life.
We all enjoy drafting and temper ourselves according to time and money.
Either he has an abundant supply of both or there should be concerns.
Oh for sure! I have drafted with him a couple times. He did timeout a few times in the 1 hr one we did. I usually don’t get too upset with a single timeout but when it continues to be the same person the draft starts to drag down and everyone else starts to not give a damn. Once that happens it just feels like others lose interest. I’m one to use auto as much as possible because I understand others signed up for a draft to actually draft! I have my list of guys that I avoid because of this also.

thepats

Post by thepats » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm

I'm in 2 DCs with him now. I don't care how many he is in. I just wish he would draft a bit quicker. I'm thinking of making one of my teams "Waiting for Heberlig."

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:37 pm

thepats wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm
I'm in 2 DCs with him now. I don't care how many he is in. I just wish he would draft a bit quicker. I'm thinking of making one of my teams "Waiting for Heberlig."
He is still entering drafts daily. Most days, more than one.
A friend told me that he estimates that he'll closing in on around 200 leagues.
Including OC's, DC's, and Main Events signed up.
And since he is entering one, two, or three leagues daily, he is juggling 25 or 30 drafts on any given day.
There is no way he DOESN'T time out a lot.
Man, that's a lot of lineups and FAAB!
On my tombstone-