Second Round

DOUGHBOYS

Second Round

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:13 am

It seems no NFBC guys want to talk about specific players for fear of 'being robbed' on draft day.
I'm either secure enough or dumb enough to do it!

Besides Bellinger, who has positionality at both 1B and OF, there was not a 1B in the first round. Just shows you that the switch over the years from powerful players to five-category offensive players. In fact, with Bregman and his positionality, there would be no 3B either....
And Bregman is slowly being phased out of the first round due to the Astros problems anyway.
The second round is where we start seeing former first round type guys...

Freddie Freeman-

Freeman is secure until he gets hit with a pitch. Two years ago, he was HBP and missed a lot of time. Last year, he was hit with a pitch and walked straight to the dugout. Scared the Bejeezus out of his owners. He was back playing the next day.
In regards to getting HBP, Freeman is a lot like Mark Teixeira. Teixeira would screw up his face in pain and let out an audible groan that was picked up by the weakest of field microphones.
Anyway, Freeman is a great player to draft. 1B are not deep this year. He even steals a few bags in a futile attempt to become a five category player.
I've drafted Freeman.

Fernando Tatis Jr.-

He was great wasn't he? He had fantasy folks drooling over their phones when looking at the statistics.
His talent is unquestioned.
While broadcasters tell me how young he is and how he has boundless energy, it makes me hesitate.
Sometimes in fantasy, young translates to stupid and boundless energy translates to recklessness.
Tatis Jr. has not played in even 100 games his last two years.
We would have really dinged him if both of those years occurred at the Major League level.
Health is a skill. For some players, that skill is not realized at a young age.
I drafted him once.

Mike Clevinger-

Soon not to be in the second round.
Everything changes for Clevinger.
He has a wild delivery that fools batters but does not give hope to having a speedy recovery from knee surgery.
Second round? He gone.
I did not draft Clevinger. Not because I avoided him, but because he was never at the right place at the right time in drafts.

Jose Ramirez-

More than any other player, Jose Ramirez reflects our drafting landscape.
He fell flat on his face last year according to most....and still had a 20-20 year.
Meaning, as long as you keep stealing bases, we still love you.
20-20 isn't a top or second round guarantee. There are players like Tommy Pham later, but Ramirez has shown in the past that he is a top five overall fantasy player. That, and the sureness of speed at an unspeedy position keeps him on our minds.
I've drafted Ramirez.

Jack Flaherty-

A friend of mine screams that Flaherty only has two pitches. For a Starter, not good.
Flaherty sure makes those pitches work for him though.
For those that like pitchers that get stronger as the season goes along, Flaherty had an 0.78 ERA over August and September last year.
I have drafted Flaherty.

Nolan Arenado-

Welcome to the second round, Nolan!
Arenado has had a bad off season. The threat of not playing in the best offensive park in baseball coupled with being disgruntled has dropped Arenado like he played for Houston.
I love him, but only drafted him once.

Shane Bieber-

Admittedly, I'm late to the party when it comes to Biebs.
I don't know why. I love WHIP pitchers.
Still, I have passed.
Not this year.
I've drafted Bieber a few times.

JD Martinez-

Another four-category former first rounder.
I have a friend, a wonderful NFBC player, who loves JD in the second round.
I don't share the love.
JD has had minor health issues that have annoyed me.
He is only getting older and I expect those issues to persist, or worse, get worse.
Pass.

Anthony Rendon-

Guess we know where the best four-category players have gone.
Rendon can rake.
But I can't draft him for personal reasons.
If asked in Las Vegas, I'll let you know why.

Adalberto Mondesi-

Mondesi goes at the back end of a lot of second rounds because he can run.
In an era of the rabbit ball, he is as close to a judy as we can get.
I've passed.

Stephen Strasburg-

Strasburg threw a lot of innings last year with the Nationals winning the pennant.
It hurt the Boston staff the year before.
Still, that is the only ding that I can give him.
I've drafted him.

Rafael Devers-

Like Ramirez,Devers illustrates our need for speed.
Devers kicked Ramirez ass all over the place in four of five categories.
Still, because that category was stolen bases and because Ramirez has 'done it before', Devers falls behind Ramirez in most drafts.
I really like Devers and have drafted him.

Chris Sale-

I look at him as dead Man Walking.
'Nuff said.
I haven't drafted him.

Bryce Harper-

Like Jose Ramirez, for not having a good year, Harper had a very good year.
I haven't drafted him yet, but am looking to do it once.
Harper has never matched the hype.
But that hype was through the roof.

Blake Snell-

Snell is getting punished for getting hurt last year. The year before, he was a bottom of the first, top of the second type pitcher.
Now, he slips to the third round in some drafts.
The talent is undeniable and I have drafted him.

I may or may not do the third round at a later time.
I probably will.
For me it is where the draft starts this year.
After the first two rounds, everybody will have either an Ace or five category player.
The third round starts the construction of our teams.

One more note...
Home run leaders from the previous years, unless they were just slugs with crappy batting average, were almost always selected in the first two rounds of drafts the following years.
Not this year.
Pete Alonso led the National League. Jorge Soler, the American.
We are not betting on repeats.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!