The NFBC, Me, and Thank You!

DOUGHBOYS

The NFBC, Me, and Thank You!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:50 am

The NFBC sure has changed since I joined in 2005.
Back then, we had a few satelite leagues and the Main Event, That was it.
Now, we have so many games to choose from.
There is something here for everybody.
Greg has even added betting on teams.
That is beyond me, but Greg has done more than a few things I've disagreed with. :lol:
And done some things that I wholeheartedly backed.
From my perspective, the NFBC loses in allowing betting.
We can no longer tell politicians or states that we are a skills game only.
In my mind, as soon as the first bet is received, our site changes.
We are doing what Pete Rose did, only with permission.
Worse, we lose some of our charm.
It's just not my thing, but Greg knows what he is doing.
And I'm not gonna be negative on the Main pages and raising Hell like I do with lesser items like game 163 :lol:

I wasn't even on these Message Boards that much back when starting. And why would I be? I was a rookie, knowing my place.
The Boards were dominated by Gekko and others.
Loud posters who knew they were good.
When making my bones, I started writing. It felt good. I wrote in College, majored in journalism, and loved baseball.
I really appreciate that Greg gave me this space to write.
That started when I was posting three or four threads on the Main Page.
Can you even imagine three or four new threads on the Boards each day now? Let alone by the same poster?
Then thinking that I was dominating those pages so much that I would find myself writing under different subjects to ease the saturation. :lol:
Steve Jupinka suggested to Greg that I have my own subject line and here I am.

Its become a labor of love.
Its also become a little nook where I like to think that only the savviest of NFBC players check out :D
Over the years, a lot of stories about players. Old players. Drafting scenarios. Joey Votto. Value. Fantasy Camp. And you.
During my time in the NFBC, I've met so many wonderful people. Most keep in touch through emails, texts, and private messages.
I don't do the social media thing.
Anyway, some of those folks have become some of my best friends outside of my hometown.

Sometimes I don't think I belong here. I don't have near as much money as most high stakes players. Not even close.
In that way, I'm caught between a rock and hard place.
There is no doubt in my mind that the best fantasy players in the world are mostly right here in the NFBC.
So, to play against those players, I have to come up with the means to play.
It's not easy.

Over the last 15 years, the NFBC has been a large part of my life.
I've dedicated myself to creating and leading drafts, participating in other drafts, and writing on these Boards.
It fit well.

This year, I'll be headed for Las Vegas for the Main Event. I love the live drafts. A chance to meet a bunch of other dorks like me who think about baseball way too much. A chance to draft against the best players in the world.
I get a chance to talk to a few people I've recruited to attend live events. They've always come back.
Top notch food, baseball, and drafting. Nothing better.
This year will, most likely, be my last in attending live events.
No family or health problems. Nothing like that.
I just know it's time.

And I also know that soon, the NFBC will be in the rear view mirror of my life.
Till then, I'm going to enjoy the Hell out of it.
I have been a working man most of my life and semi-retired for the last few years.
This year will be the first year that I will be fully retired. Ready to watch a lot of baseball and enjoy the teams drafted here.
I can't wait.
When retiring, you tend to look back at life.
I just wanted to let you guys know that you have been a wonderful part of that journey.
Thank you.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Re: The NFBC, Me, and Thank You!

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am

I hope that's not true Dan - you know the part I'm talking about. You would be hugely missed at the live events.

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am

Hi Dan

Joe Lecak I met you a few years ago at a live draft we did together. Love your writing. I retired a few years back took me about a year to adjust. Physically best thing to happen to me. I’m convinced alarm clocks shorten life span.

Financially I can afford one live draft. I still remember my first draft I was stunned by all the people traveling great distances to live draft. Living in Vegas it makes my budget decision easy.

Mentally I’m showing early signs of slowing down. I’ve engaged myself in a number of challenging hobbies such as woodworking, putting together complicated puzzles, community gardening too name a few.

Greg, Tom and Darik are providing a service they may not even realize. When people ask why I do these I tell them it’s my NY Times crossword puzzle. Drafting a team, the prep work, and FAAB I might be the only one who enjoys FAAB. The NFBC is now Doctors orders.

Enjoy your retirement.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am
I hope that's not true Dan - you know the part I'm talking about. You would be hugely missed at the live events.
No big deal, KJ. It's just time. Those Live Events are awesome and there will always be somebody to replace me.
I'm working hard on a recruit now! :lol:
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Donacion wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am
Hi Dan

Joe Lecak I met you a few years ago at a live draft we did together. Love your writing. I retired a few years back took me about a year to adjust. Physically best thing to happen to me. I’m convinced alarm clocks shorten life span.

Financially I can afford one live draft. I still remember my first draft I was stunned by all the people traveling great distances to live draft. Living in Vegas it makes my budget decision easy.

Mentally I’m showing early signs of slowing down. I’ve engaged myself in a number of challenging hobbies such as woodworking, putting together complicated puzzles, community gardening too name a few.

Greg, Tom and Darik are providing a service they may not even realize. When people ask why I do these I tell them it’s my NY Times crossword puzzle. Drafting a team, the prep work, and FAAB I might be the only one who enjoys FAAB. The NFBC is now Doctors orders.

Enjoy your retirement.
Heck yeah, I remember you and that draft, Joe!
It was awesome.
The jokes that were had by the 14 of us while Mike The Mouth was on a phone were priceless.
Seems to me you did pretty well in that draft too. :D
Thanks for the note.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Donacion wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am
Hi Dan

Enjoy your retirement.
So nice, I said it twice!
On my tombstone-

mbendar16

Post by mbendar16 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Dan,
I have an easy solution - just win the Main Event! That way there will be plenty of money to enter and travel for many years as well as extra to enjoy your retirement.

I thank you for your contributions to Doughboys Daily Stuff over the years, as it's the 1st place I go when checking out the forums to see if you have posted something new. I hope you are able to continue to post and play these events for many years in your retirement.

Mark

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:52 pm

mbendar16 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:20 pm
Dan,
I have an easy solution - just win the Main Event! That way there will be plenty of money to enter and travel for many years as well as extra to enjoy your retirement.

I thank you for your contributions to Doughboys Daily Stuff over the years, as it's the 1st place I go when checking out the forums to see if you have posted something new. I hope you are able to continue to post and play these events for many years in your retirement.

Mark
Thanks Mark!
Appreciated and I am going to try and take your advice :D
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Doughy - why is your time here almost up?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Gekko wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 pm
The why is personal.
The when is undetermined.
It's no big deal.
This place is booming!
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:45 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm
Gekko wrote:
The why is personal.
It's no big deal.
This place is booming!
When someone as invested as you have been in the NFBC over the years decides to move on, it will create a bit of a void in all of us who know you who are and the contributions you made for the betterment of the entire NFBC community.

I hope you realize your contributions have meant a lot to a lot of us, even if we only read your posts but did not comment on them.

If there is anything I could do to help keep your ride on the NFBC train going, please let me know.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Gekko wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:45 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 pm
Gekko wrote:
The why is personal.
It's no big deal.
This place is booming!
When someone as invested as you have been in the NFBC over the years decides to move on, it will create a bit of a void in all of us who know you who are and the contributions you made for the betterment of the entire NFBC community.

I hope you realize your contributions have meant a lot to a lot of us, even if we only read your posts but did not comment on them.

If there is anything I could do to help keep your ride on the NFBC train going, please let me know.
Thanks Mark, that means a lot to me.
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 am

Note to self...plan trip to Colorado just prior to Main Event Las Vegas next year....bring plenty of Dorito's, multiple 8x10 glossies of Ann Margret (young, provocative version), a print out of Joey Votto's career stats, a panel truck, duct tape and a baseball bat (for emergency use if the glossies don't do the trick).

Dan, of course I respect your decision but find difficulty in accepting it. Besides a friend (for all of us and personally for me especially) you are a true ambassador for fantasy baseball and the NFBC in particular. Time and tide wait for no one but nothing is etched in stone. I hope circumstances will allow participation for many years to come, but in any regard, you are now and will always be a welcome voice/presence in our (weird, slightly off kilter) community.

See you in a few weeks...
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 am
Note to self...plan trip to Colorado just prior to Main Event Las Vegas next year....bring plenty of Dorito's, multiple 8x10 glossies of Ann Margret (young, provocative version), a print out of Joey Votto's career stats, a panel truck, duct tape and a baseball bat (for emergency use if the glossies don't do the trick).

Dan, of course I respect your decision but find difficulty in accepting it. Besides a friend (for all of us and personally for me especially) you are a true ambassador for fantasy baseball and the NFBC in particular. Time and tide wait for no one but nothing is etched in stone. I hope circumstances will allow participation for many years to come, but in any regard, you are now and will always be a welcome voice/presence in our (weird, slightly off kilter) community.

See you in a few weeks...
Thanks Wayne.
Always a friend. And much appreciated.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks for the kindness Everybody.

As I told an NFBC player yesterday, "I'M NOT DYING!" :D
And it is certainly not anything pertaining to you great people in the NFBC.
It's just part of life.
I'm not an attention seeker, so I'm regretting the thread a bit now, but it's out there, the heads up given, and we can move on and look forward to BASEBALL!
Thanks again.
On my tombstone-

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am

no so fast, hope it's not to be so Dough, miss you terribly we will. Life without fantasy baseball is not the life you're looking for.
Keep swinging Dough - see you soon
dough attack of the value picks.png
dough attack of the value picks.png (127.74 KiB) Viewed 7949 times

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 am

Quahogs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am
no so fast, hope it's not to be so Dough, miss you terribly we will. Life without fantasy baseball is not the life you're looking for.
Keep swinging Dough - see you soon

dough attack of the value picks.png
See you soon and thanks, Steve.
Now,about 'VALUE'... :D
On my tombstone-

jtannehill

Post by jtannehill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Hey Dan,

I think I speak for some of the newbies out there that are fortunate enough to come across your posts that it would be a big loss for NFBC if you
decided to cut ties in anyway shape or form. I've had fun competing in a few drafts here and there and would love to get out for a live event
sometime but time/finances are what they are it might be down the road sometime for me. You would definitely be one of the guys I would seek
out to introduce myself to and let you know how much I enjoyed reading your posts throughout the few years I have been involved in NFBC. I do hope you stick around and I'm able to meet you someday and talk shop with ya. Just wanted you to know you do reach an audience out here and are still relevant and a wicked talented writer. Keep on keeping on brotha.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm

jtannehill wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:46 pm
Hey Dan,

I think I speak for some of the newbies out there that are fortunate enough to come across your posts that it would be a big loss for NFBC if you
decided to cut ties in anyway shape or form. I've had fun competing in a few drafts here and there and would love to get out for a live event
sometime but time/finances are what they are it might be down the road sometime for me. You would definitely be one of the guys I would seek
out to introduce myself to and let you know how much I enjoyed reading your posts throughout the few years I have been involved in NFBC. I do hope you stick around and I'm able to meet you someday and talk shop with ya. Just wanted you to know you do reach an audience out here and are still relevant and a wicked talented writer. Keep on keeping on brotha.
Thanks Jay.
One of the things I love doing most in the NFBC is helping out newbies. If I see talented drafters that I've never heard of before in Draft Champions, I'll try and get them to 'play up'.
Mike Mager was a great newbie in those leagues and I believe it took me two years to convince Mike to play in a Main Event.
Now, he has his own reputation as one of the best around.
Same with Dorian Kinman and others.
I get a kick out of their success almost as much as they do!
I also love sticking up for newbies when it comes to some rules.
A newbie lost his Draft Champions League Championship due to game 163. A Championship that he had thought won.
I had always been pro-game 163 before that, but his communication with me left me feeling so bad for him that I jumped ship to anti-game 163.
Thanks again for the note, Jay. So appreciated.
On my tombstone-

LittleKingKen

Post by LittleKingKen » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:28 am

As a very casual participant, I have always enjoyed reading your dailies, and interacting with you, primarily in the Mia League. I was fortunate to get in there as a charter member, and that league has kept me doing fantasy baseball several years when I probably wouldn't have been active at all.

I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge you possess, and the brilliant, entertaining writing style. In fact, I really think Doughboys Daily Stuff should be published as a book, with all the historical entries sandwiched between parts I (intro) and III (long essay).

Unfortunately i have never gone to a main event....not so much because of my inferior fantasy skills, but more so because of my social phobias....so i never got to meet you in person. Maybe next year, if you do one more?!

Ken

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:14 am

LittleKingKen wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:28 am
As a very casual participant, I have always enjoyed reading your dailies, and interacting with you, primarily in the Mia League. I was fortunate to get in there as a charter member, and that league has kept me doing fantasy baseball several years when I probably wouldn't have been active at all.

I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge you possess, and the brilliant, entertaining writing style. In fact, I really think Doughboys Daily Stuff should be published as a book, with all the historical entries sandwiched between parts I (intro) and III (long essay).

Unfortunately i have never gone to a main event....not so much because of my inferior fantasy skills, but more so because of my social phobias....so i never got to meet you in person. Maybe next year, if you do one more?!

Ken
You posted! That's wonderful, Ken.
Its been a pleasure having you in the Mia League, Ken.
No league with Mike the Mouth is an easy league to be in :D but the meaning has resonated through the years and Mia is healthy which is the best part.

I'm betting I share some of your social phobias, Ken. I'm not very comfortable with a lot of attention and do a good job here hiding behind my pen.
In live events, the tables are in a horseshoe shape so that everybody can see the draft board. Three tables, five drafters at each table.
I usually KDS 1,4, 5, 9, 10, and 15 because I don't like people on each side of me. You're not alone.
Thanks for the note, Ken. It really means a lot.
On my tombstone-

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Dan,

I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Your presence in our community can not be measured.
If this is your swan song in Sin City, I'm very pleased I found out a way to get out there.

Matt
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm
Dan,

I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Your presence in our community can not be measured.
If this is your swan song in Sin City, I'm very pleased I found out a way to get out there.

Matt
Hey Matt,

If ever in Colorado again... :D
Thanks for the note and it'll be good to see you again in Vegas.
On my tombstone-