Old School & The Sox

DOUGHBOYS

Old School & The Sox

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I know I am old school and that the game has changed, but gee willickers! (Yes, that old!)
Ron Roenicke says the Red Sox are no longer going to practice bunting.
Little League, High School, College...we all had to bunt, if if only the first two or last two at bats during batting practice.
No bunting?
This means that all left handers will hit into the shift without even the threat of a bunt down the third base line.
If in a big game late in the year, the score tied 2-2, ninth inning after a Benintendi double,,,"Hey Defense! Don't worry, he's not bunting him over!"

I don't know what is dumber....To stop bunting practice or to tell the world that you've stopped bunting practice.
The Red Sox have been one of the sloppier organizations since winning their pennant in '18.
Last year, it seemed like they gave Starting Pitchers a reprieve leading up to the All-Star break resulting in the very thing they were trying to avoid.
Injuries.
Eovaldi who got a gift contract and had everybody say "Ah, how sweet" will never return the Red Sox investment.
Chris Sale had an arm problem and the Red Sox overlooked it and extended him.
They pussyfooted around the word 'fire' and Joey Cora left by mutual agreement with both sides doing sufficient ass kissing.
An organization I was very fond of has turned 'corporate'.
Nobody likes 'corporate'.

The Red Sox have flown the white flag this year in dealing Mookie Betts and David Price to the Dodgers.
Oh, they say they still want to win, but it rings hollow.
It rings as hollow as Colorado Rockies owner Charlie Monfort saying the Rockies will win 94 games this year because "We will improve with the players we have."
Do these big shots really think fans believe them?
The rich slay me sometimes.
The Red Sox main nemesis is not the Yankees. It is payroll.
That payroll won them the 2018 title. Then, they got more stupid and made unwise investments.
Then the Betts trade, which signals a 'give up' season.

Worse for the Red Sox is that they have not received their report from MLB into their cheating.
I doubt it will tarnish their image as much as the Astros have been drug through the dirt.
At the same time, it certainly won't help them this year.
Every Red Sox exec kissed Cora's ass as they showed him the door.
The only person that was with the Red Sox and Astros while cheating and he is beloved.
Great message! Corporate strikes again.

Like said, I know baseball has changed. The home run is king. Bunting is for chumps.
I know that bunting, stealing bases, and most things small ball related are doing a slow fade in baseball.
At the same time, no matter how seldom a weapon is used, it's a weapon.
To tell any opponent that a weapon will not be used is not smart.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

mbendar16

Re: Old School & The Sox

Post by mbendar16 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:19 pm

Is there any chance roenicke is smart enough to say no bunting and practice where no one can see in the indoor cages? :roll: Probably not x2 especially with cameras everywhere these days. If it costs them games at any point, I'd be stunned if the statement isn't retracted.

Agreed though that saying no bunting practice is not a good or smart start as manager.