DC's and Main Events

DOUGHBOYS

DC's and Main Events

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 am

I've been asked this by a few newbies..."How is the Main Event different than the Draft Champions?"

Draft Champions are done in the comfort of your own own home.
Need a few minutes to think about a pick? Sure, no problem.
Draft Champions drafts are about as laid back as it gets.
Even if doing a Draft Champions Express with a one minute clock like the Main Event, it is from the easy chair, without 14 pairs of eyes staring and a facilitator hungry for your next pick.

Draft Champions is a game of attrition.
There is no FAAB to help us out. We pick 50 players and have to hope that players at one position or another have the decency to not get hurt at the same time.
I used to think that 20 pitchers were enough for DC's.
Now, I find myself drafting 22, even 23 pitchers.
We only get seven bench spots in the Main Event. Seven.
We have to make them count.
Remember those podcasts or articles that tell you that 'handcuffing' a player is important?
It doesn't apply to the Main Event.
In DC's, sure, take Blake Treinen if not trusting the already drafted Kenley Jansen.
In Main Events, if Jansen is ok for two weeks, we start questioning if Treinen is worth the bench spot. Especially if injury starts taking bench spots away.
DC's are more of an overall six month process for rosters. Main Events are more week to week and fluid.
In DC's we start and end with the same roster. In Main Events, only half our original roster will remain intact.

ADP is mostly built through Draft Champions.
That is important to remember.
ADP is built and the default for players online are from Draft Champion leagues.
We are more tolerant of a player missing time in DC's.
Clevinger, Hamels, and Domingo German type of players who are known to miss the first part of the season are nicked in ADP a bit for their injury.
They will fall even further in Main Event drafts,
Those are precious bench spots. We want a real bargain if clogging our bench with known injury.

In Draft Champions we try to use more 'finesse picks' than in Main Events.
Let's say that you LOVE some Louis Bob (Luis Robert).
You have been drafting Louis Bob during Draft Champions. Getting him in the Eighth round, seventh round, sixth round, and now the fifth round.
You've been getting him in those rounds because that is what the market allows.
In the fourth round of a current DC, you can confidently pass on Louis Bob till the fifth round.
That doesn't work in the Main Event.
One of those other 14 drafters is not going to play the 'sheep game' or be looking for bargains.
He sees Louis Bob as you do, a five category player who may go Acuna on the baseball world.
'Finessing' a player like Andrew Benintendi or Justin Upton can work but for the overly hyped players like Louis Bob, you will miss out on a beloved player.
In DC's, WHERE a player is picked seems to be a bigger deal than the WHO is picked that are the Main Events.

Like said, DC's are done from our own home.
We are more relaxed during a DC. We have time, less money on the line, and are looking for the enjoyment of sheer drafting.
The pleasures further in that there is no FAAB to think about.
Relax and have some fun is the theme.
Most Main Events are live.
Every pick is scrutinized.
Not only by you, but by everybody sitting at the table...sometimes including the facilitator.
You're more focused, but at the same time, more frenzied.
You're confident, but at the same time, afraid.
Mostly afraid that 'your' guy won't be there.
And if Louis Bob is taken right before you, you have 30 seconds to say your 'gawddammits' and use the other 30 seconds to compose yourself and pick the best plan B player. Don't go on tilt. It could ruin the experience.

Draft Champions are batting practice.
Main Events are where we face the real heat, the curves and the sliders.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Re: DC's and Main Events

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:46 pm

Glad you had fun on your cruise, Dan!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks Wayne!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 am

I enjoy your posts. Please keep at it during this time of angst, you have a calming effect.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra