FBG, JV, and Ah Well

DOUGHBOYS

FBG, JV, and Ah Well

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 03, 2020 9:18 am

(Spoiler- If looking for hope, this is the wrong place )

(Part 1)

Most of the time, I get along with the Fantasy Baseball God (FBG). Sure, there are times when I cuss him. Especially during drafts and sometimes during the season.
I remember taking Joey Votto years and years ago. It was before Votto had gained his reputation for drawing walks, When he was still considered 'A slugger'. Votto would draw walks with men on. I would curse the FBG.
But as the season unwound, it was clear I was cursing at the wrong person. It was Votto I should have been cursing. Not the FBG,
He had changed from his slugging ways to drawing a walk as tops on his list of priorities.
I haven't been able to own Votto since because in order to compete in Fantasy Baseball, we have to have a bit of sanity.
Votto drove me crazy that year and I've been driving him crazy since. :D
Ah well.

Right now, I'm loving the FBG. He has helped in drafts.(Yes, still drafting).
He has taken away drafters number one excuse for being late or timing out.
"Sorry, I was in a meeting."
To the other 14 drafters, no meeting is more important than keeping the line moving.
"Sorry, I was in a meeting." is more than just an excuse. It implies that others were more important than us.
That the drafter's meeting was so important that he could not look down at his phone and push 'draft'.
The FBG has also taken away Church and "At my Kid's (insert sport here) practice or game.
The FBG has taken away just about every excuse in the world since most of us are holed up.
But still, drafters find a way to take too much time.
Ah well.

Just another thing about Votto.... :D
I know it's not fair to compare him to a Hall of Famer, but I do this because I want to find a player with an incredibly long tenure in the Major Leagues and Derek Jeter's career fills the bill.
Many, including Votto argue that getting on base is the number one job of players.
This is fine if you're a sabermetrician, rolling out a walking carpet and pray five times daily to the God Of Bases on Balls.
But get this...
Votto has already drawn more base on balls than Jeter did over his long career.
Astounding enough, but here's the kicker...
Votto has only scored a little more than half the Runs Jeter scored in his career. Half!
Jeter's job WAS to get on base. He did that. More through HITTING the ball, than walking.
Votto had very little support behind him in his lineups. A walk was doing the opposing team a favor.
Not only did they oblige him with walks, he changed his style to encourage them.
He walks with no purpose. And now that age and changing style have conformed to make him less of a threat, pitchers are not walking him as before.
Making him, impotent.
Ah well.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Re: FBG, JV, and Ah Well

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 03, 2020 9:21 am

(Part 2)

The updates on baseball are amusing. A little like Greg's post. Most are upbeat and filled with hope.
Each plan that writers leak are hailed as 'smart'.
I can't blame folks for having hope. Hell, it's the only thing we cling to sometimes.
Just the same, I'm pragmatic.
These updates are silly.
In March, we get this headline...
"Baseball Looking to Start in May"
In April, this headline, "Baseball hopeful for a June Start"
Now, in May, they look to late June or July.
Ah well.

Each new plan brings us closer to real baseball. Providing more hope.
At first, we were playing baseball in Arizona with 10,000 folks in a bubble.
Then, Florida and Arizona.
Then Texas, Florida, and Arizona.
Finally, home parks.
We were going to have no American or National League.
Then, 10 team divisions.
Now, normal alignment.
Time and the virus messes with plans.
At first, they are as far away from the norm as possible.
Such as playing all 30 teams in Arizona and letting everybody sweat in 110 degrees weather every day. Great idea!
This was even considered 'smart' by some folks.
Ah well.

But as time passes, the plans have gone full circle.
From sweating in Arizona with no National or American League teams to every team playing in their own park and divisions.
Home parks, home fans (just less of them)a season as we know it.
Regular leagues. Shorter schedule.
But, how short can they go?
Time is passing.
Plans offer hope but put us no closer to watching baseball.
Six weeks of the baseball season would be finishing now without the virus.
Time is relentless. The only unstoppable element on Earth.
If we are in June without players on the field, believe me, these writers will no longer tell us that baseball is hoping to start in September.
Time will be up.,,,And it will be a shame.
Ah well.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!