The Challenge of 2020

DOUGHBOYS

The Challenge of 2020

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am

We have this comment......"We didn't draft for 60 games, we drafted for 162!" (163 :D )

And the counter..."We're all in the same position"

We have this comment...."My team was drafted months ago. I didn't know this was going to happen!"

And the counter....."That is part of the risk of drafting early."

For every argument to not play out the season, there is another to play out the season.

Will there be more luck involved in a 60 games season where players can sit out and a virus can change the landscape in an instant?
Not to mention, it is just 60 games.
Well, heck yeah.
It rankles us that more luck is involved.
But you know what?
With each year that passes, the skill to luck ratio seems to weigh more on the luck side/
This is because of the changes in baseball itself.
When the NFBC started, platoons and multi-reliever games were not near as prevalent as today.
Not to mention shifts, Openers, and many other things tht are almost impossible for us to cipher.
In our game, the saying, "it is better to be lucky than good" applies.
Oh, being good helps. For sure. But pass a helping of Lady Luck, please.

I'm amused how injuries were being handled in drafts after Corona was known and the knowledge that we were not going to play near 162 games was known.
Oldsters like Rich Hill and others like him moved up.
Why?
The thinking is that even Rich Hill can make it through a 60 game season.
Can he?
It's also the same with known injury risks like James Paxton.
Again, the thinking being that even Paxton can last two months without getting hurt.
It's possible.
But it's amusing to move up an older or injury prone player in thinking that a shorter schedule mitigates more risk.

Some have emailed me and explain that they will treat the 60 game season as they would the last two months of a season.
I disagree.
In my mind, I am treating it as the opening two months of the season with a probable strike looking after two months.
This way is more realistic for me.
Arms are not stretched out. Lineups are more up in the air. Spring Training decisions still being made.
It is not like we have had four months of the season under our belts.

Our 'bets' are the same. But they're not.
When we lay down 1,700 smackeroos for a Main Event, we get six months of entertainment and challenge for our money.
It comes out to paying around $10 a game for 162 game season.
With the 60 game schedule, that is magnified.
It is $30 a game.
No longer can we say, "Lester got beat up today, I hope deGrom makes up for it tomorrow."
In a sprint, blowups are more maddening and less affordable.
It's the same fantasy game, only different.

It'll be a one time challenge (Oh for pete's sake, let this be a one time challenge!)
Those that win, in my book, will not be lucky.
Luck may have played an important role, sure, but no doubt about it, this will be a challenge.
I'll be as proud to win this year as I would any other year. Maybe even more.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

gellin

Re: The Challenge of 2020

Post by gellin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:07 am

Well said! I would think everyone would see a 60 game season as a challenge (but apparently not). If prize money is guaranteed from prior drafts, what's the difference if you win money in a shortened season?