The Brag

DOUGHBOYS

The Brag

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:59 am

I love the history of all the players and those that have contributed to these Boards in the NFBC.
Every once in awhile, somebody relatively new to these Boards reminds me of somebody long ago.
That happened for me this week.

Earlier in the week, there was a brag on the Main page of these Boards.
A drafter had finished eighth Overall in the Main Event last year and 14th in the Draft Champions.
I believe he was trying to verify that 'he had game' more than to brag, but it still came off as a brag.
Through the years, many, many drafters have had a good year and finished in the top 10 of the Overall standings.
Once.
The trick is to do it again, and again, and again.
Norman Greenbaum had an absolutely killer song with 'Spirit in the Sky', but he'll always be known as a 'One Hit Wonder'
The NFBC is littered with One Hit Wonders.

We've had some great names come through the NFBC.
Some of you guys that have been around as long as I will remember some or all of these names.
Sportsbettingman, Viper, Walla Walla, Gordon Gekko, God Loves You, MeatLoaf, Spyhunter, Crazy Like a Fox, All In JD, Cindy.
Each a part of the history of the NFBC.

The brag earlier in the week reminded me of 'God Loves You'.'
And please old-timers, if my recollections are wrong or completely off base let me know, but this is my memory of what happened....

Although 'the name 'God Loves You' insinuates a person pushing a religious agenda, 'God Loves You', never did.
If remembering right, the owner of 'God Loves You' was a fella named Patrick Welsh from Florida.
Like the fella that finished eighth Overall, "God Loves You' had a really good year in the NFBC.
He finished well in the Main Event and some satelite leagues (Before DC's)

God Loves You (in my mind) began to think that he had a certain fantasy edge over us mere mortals.
That he may even be, unbeatable.
Before a satelite league would start the next year, he would announce that he would be drafting all 14 of his hitters first, then pitching.
And the next satelite league, he would announce that he would take all of his pitchers, then hitters.
And he would tell folks he would win with either strategy.
I loved the confidence.
Unfortunately, 'God Loves You' did not do well. He lost the satelites and didn't fair well in the Main Event again.
He faded out of sight. I hope he is doing well.
It could happen just like that and has for many participants.

Fantasy baseball, especially at this level is very humbling.
ALL of us are prone to a bad team and bad year, much as we are to a good team and good year.
One year, a fella entered the Main Event twice.
He had a team that finished in the 300's Overall.
His other team finished first.
Nobody ever talks about that team that finished in the 300's.
It just illustrates that not only can we have good and bad years, but that we can even have a good and bad year during the SAME year.
I love this game.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Thurman15

Re: The Brag

Post by Thurman15 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:46 am

Spirit in the Sky was a great song. Still is. But I can't tell you Norman's " 2nd greatest song" And true, if you play fantasy baseball long enough, you are bound to have some ups and downs. I remember picking a team that finished dead last. And didn't even have significant injuries. At the end of the year I looked at the team and thought...."what the hell was I thinking" But like Norman Greenbaum, my "Spirit is in the sky" I feel great about my teams......for now...
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "