DRAFT!

DOUGHBOYS

DRAFT!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm in a DRAFT.
Let me say that again.
I'm in a DRAFT!
I love the words.
After all the crap us fantasy folks have been through, I thought, honestly, that my next draft would be the PreMature E-Draftulation League in September.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not all rainbows and ice cream. In my opinion, I don't believe there will be an NFL season.
The make-up of the sport and the virus just makes it seem an impossibility to me. Time has been on the NFL's side, but that is quickly changing to the virus favor as well.
As for baseball, there are going to be problems.
Greg is fond of calling these events, 'Sprints'.
I believe it will only be a sprint in terms of games and schedule. In my mind, the season will be bogged down by many episodes stemming from the virus. Players will be affected. Their replacements will be affected.
Although the season is a 'sprint', it still becomes a game of attrition.
We can avoid Chris Sale because of recent arm problems, but knowing if players wear masks and do the right things in preventing Covid takes a lot more research!

But, don't let that stuff distract me, dammit, I'm in a DRAFT.
Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Gerritt Cole have pregnant wives, Trout's expecting during the season.
As of now, we don't know what to do with that information.
If drafting third and Trout is available, do you take him?
Is a Trout in hand worth Mookie Betts in the bush?
Wait, that didn't come out right....but you know what I mean.

Some drafters want to devalue pitching because of the short season.
I believe the thinking is that Wins will be harder than ever to detect.
Why?
Who is better suited to win....Gerritt Cole or Cole Hamels
The answer would be Cole. Still.
Drafters are forgetting that K's are not forgiven.
A shorter season means that it will be tougher than ever to catch up on K's.
If thinking that relievers will get more Wins and help with ERA and WHIP because of the shorter year and drafting that way and it doesn't work...well...you are stuck in a lot of pitching categories.

One thing that I am concerned about it (and I seem to be the only one) is how these players will play without the loud cheering.
Professionalism reigns here.
Some players are driven by the crowd. The 'Look at me, Ma!" mentality.
I want to avoid those players.
I also believe stolen bases will trend even more downhill.
Stolen bases are opportunistic and sometimes driven by the excitement of the game.
Games are not near as exciting in a scrimmage atmosphere.
I believe that Mallex Smith will steal many bases and lead the league this year if playing the full schedule.
I say this because Smith is one of the few full time SB artist. He lives to steal.
Trea Turner will steal, but not as much. He is integral to his team in other ways.
Mallex Smith has been called a lot of things...'integral' is not one of them.
Players like Ketel Marte, the part timers of stealing, will be less than part time.

Swings will be harder than ever. No razzing for striking out. The glory of the home run still runs high.
Starters will throw even less innings.
Even though most teams only have two, maybe three relievers that Managers can count on, these Managers are in an all-fire hurry to get to that bullpen.
Lesser pitchers mean more homers.

See?
I'm in a DRAFT and all these things start running through my mind.
Gawd, I love this stuff! I wanna be in a DRAFT for the rest of my life!
So much rather be thinking about putting together a team of my own instead of whether the powers that be can put a season together. Jerks.
Get in a DRAFT and enjoy!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

LittleKingKen

Re: DRAFT!

Post by LittleKingKen » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:26 pm

I'm in a draft also....at least one, and that one is the main event. Wasn't sure how many i would do, so i wanted to at least do that one. Might do a few of the draft and hold also, as prep for my main event draft.

Now a few weeks of refresher study, to try and re-learn or remember what i thought i knew a few months ago.

Certainly wasn't expecting to be in any more drafts, but kind of exciting.....

gellin

Post by gellin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Dan, I agree with you on pitching. I don't see the rationale to devalue starters in a 60 game season. At the end of the day, nobody really knows how players will perform and managers will manage in a shortened season. My thinking is not to overanalyze and predict what could be and draft projected talent as I would for a full season and adjust when we actually see the players perform and the managers manage. Psychologically, I'm wondering if players will have more of a sense of urgency because it's only a 60 game season, and if so, how will that impact performance. Will it lead to more consistent performances or more slumps.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:30 pm

gellin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Dan, I agree with you on pitching. I don't see the rationale to devalue starters in a 60 game season. At the end of the day, nobody really knows how players will perform and managers will manage in a shortened season. My thinking is not to overanalyze and predict what could be and draft projected talent as I would for a full season and adjust when we actually see the players perform and the managers manage. Psychologically, I'm wondering if players will have more of a sense of urgency because it's only a 60 game season, and if so, how will that impact performance. Will it lead to more consistent performances or more slumps.
Exactly.
There is something a little perverse in drafting for just 60 games.
SOOOOO many unknowns.
At least in a 162 game season, we have the past to rely on.
There is no 'book' for this year.
I've noticed that when I'm on the clock, I take more time than before.
More to process for sure!
On my tombstone-

gellin

Post by gellin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:30 pm
gellin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Exactly.
There is something a little perverse in drafting for just 60 games.
SOOOOO many unknowns.
At least in a 162 game season, we have the past to rely on.
There is no 'book' for this year.
I've noticed that when I'm on the clock, I take more time than before.
More to process for sure!
Unfortunately, we've only got a minute to process that information! (Personally, I'd like to see a little longer timer on high stakes leagues like the Main Event...for example, 3 minutes or 5 minutes to make a pick...we're playing for a lot of money so it would be nice to have a little more time to think about each pick.)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 pm

I should have been more specific.
I'm in DC mode at the moment. Usually draft in seconds, now a few minutes.
When the Main Event comes, I'll have already drafted in a similar one minute draft to get used to the time change.
I believe three-five minutes will never come to be.
Drafts are long. Even at a minute.
Especially live events with two 15 minute breaks after both the 10th and 20th rounds.
It's up to us to be very comfortable with that minute deadline by the time the Main Event comes.
Tougher this year, for sure!
On my tombstone-

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:10 pm

Great stuff as always, Dough. Sorry, haven't had the chance to visit this area of the boards in a while and I should more often. On the issue of no fans at the games, I don't see why teams just couldn't just hire some talented DJ's, sound guys, foley artists, etc., and pump in whatever ambient crowd noise and sound effects are needed and appropriate.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:10 pm
Great stuff as always, Dough. Sorry, haven't had the chance to visit this area of the boards in a while and I should more often. On the issue of no fans at the games, I don't see why teams just couldn't just hire some talented DJ's, sound guys, foley artists, etc., and pump in whatever ambient crowd noise and sound effects are needed and appropriate.
Thanks Mike, good to see your face around here!
The sound effects 'sound' good but they just can't replicate the real thing.
The Crescendo of a crowd as a guy is trying to beat the rap at third base on a triple....
The almost whisper like tones of the crowd as the outfielder goes back on a ball, followed bt the thunderous sound when realization hits that the ball is outta the ball park.
Even the "GET YOUR BEER HERE!" by vendors for the tv crowd.
The real thing is awesome and more a part of the game then we will ever know.
We could 'Pub it' at home.
Have the picture and turn down the sound. It makes it easier for us as the viewing audience.
For the players, playing in front of a live crowd can never be replicated.

Even in the entertainment business right now, they're struggling.
Late night talk shows from home are disappointing and not near the same.
Singers and bands from home are missing the vibe with 'internet concerts'.
Trump is holding rallies because his ego can't permit or replace the adulation by real people, missed otherwise.
In general, the boy never leaves the man.
When we can do something that pleases crowds whether it's entertaining, singing, giving speeches, or playing baseball, we have that, "LOOK AT ME, MOM!" mentality. And the more folks that see us at our best, the better.
Playing to an empty hall is going to be stark.
On my tombstone-

LittleKingKen

Post by LittleKingKen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:12 pm

Honestly, even though the live crowd does have a lot of value...it seems to be a bit over blown. There is the fact that tens of thousands are watching the game on TV. As far as the motivational factor from spectatorship, that should really do wonders for the players even without the 'crowd-noise'!

If I know 100,000 people are watching me live on television, my motivation (and possibly performance) takes on an entirely different dynamic than a game that is just being played in an empty stadium, with nobody watching.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:41 pm

LittleKingKen wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:12 pm
Honestly, even though the live crowd does have a lot of value...it seems to be a bit over blown. There is the fact that tens of thousands are watching the game on TV. As far as the motivational factor from spectatorship, that should really do wonders for the players even without the 'crowd-noise'!

If I know 100,000 people are watching me live on television, my motivation (and possibly performance) takes on an entirely different dynamic than a game that is just being played in an empty stadium, with nobody watching.
I knew if given time, that I would disagree with you, Ken! :D

If it were me or you, yes, we'd be motivated by 10,000 people watching us.
But, these players already have the cameras out of their minds after a month of being in the big leagues.
The cameras have been a constant. A part of the landscape.
Going from 50,000 people in the stands to pictures of fans in seats is something they have never had to go through however.
I believe some players will be effected BIG TIME.
Others will not be effected much.
And still others, like rookies trying to prove themselves, may feel MORE comfortable without the fans.
On my tombstone-