Processing the News

DOUGHBOYS

Processing the News

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:53 am

All of us get mostly the same information at mostly the same time. On that level, we're similar.
The major difference in each fantasy player is how we process that information.
I'm in two drafts right now.
Aaron Nola fell to the fifth round. DJ LeMahieu is still not selected in the seventh round. Same with Tommy Pham.
Freddie Freeman's owner doing a "Oh, Woe is me!" on chat.
David Price owners are pissed.
Sal Perez and Hector Neris have the virus.
Felix Hernandez is sitting out the season.
Mike Trout and Buster Posey are talking about doing the same.
And Giancarlo Stanton is doing his best hitting when he does his best hitting....When it doesn't count.
And Tanaka goes down for the count.

THAT, my friends, was ONE DAY of news!

How do we process all that?
The knee jerk reaction is to avoid every player that has any connection to the virus.(Or line drives to the head!)
That may not be right.
These players may be out there on Opening Day and now have anti-bodies to fight the virus to boot.
That, would be a good thing.
In the meantime, we know other players are going to test positive.
And with each day it gets closer to the season, the worse it'll be for their fantasy owners.
14 days of quarantine and two days of negative testing still gets every player affected by positive tests on Saturday, a chance to be on the field by Opening Day.
(Although Starters are gypped in not stretching out)
In three weeks time, we may be saying that we should have seek out Pham , Freeman, et al as bargains instead of using avoidance.
In three weeks time, all the news from yesterday will be old news.
Seriously, I'll take Freeman with the Chills today over Alex Bregman who is drafted in a similar spot, with a positive test on Opening Day.

A positive test means 16 missed days, minimum.
14 in quarantine.
Two for testing negative on days afterwards.
Again, for pitchers, it's realistic to miss even more time.
And we're not even taking into account how sick a player could become, missing more days.
So for players who test positive during the season, they miss a quarter of the season.
For pitchers, a third of the season.
Making almost ANY player testing positive after August, droppable.

We only have nine weeks of FAAB. Those nine weeks are going to be integral in any cash won.
The draft will be a lottery in hitting or missing Covid players.
FAAB, the fixer.
And almost every team is going to need a fix.

We didn't sign up for this.
We entered a 'Texas Hold 'EM' tournament and we're playing a game where two's, and nine's, and one eyed Jacks are wild.
Anything can happen.
We try to inject as much skill as possible into our game, but we need Lady Luck in our corner.
Without her, we're at the mercy of a news day like Saturday.
May Lady Luck have mercy on our Fantasy Souls after that news day.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Philippe27

Re: Processing the News

Post by Philippe27 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:25 pm

I just hope we can get through this week and things start to calm down. We're getting all the test results at the same time so it probably looks worse than it is.

At this point, the opt outs are what really scares me for the season because I think (or hope?) the news about positive tests will slow down in the next few days.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm

If Freddy bounces back quickly from symptoms it could make other players a lot more comfortable seeing a typical recovery for a healthy young athlete. Rooting for FF.

LittleKingKen

Post by LittleKingKen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Now Manfred says MLB will be lucky to play its full 60 game season. Not sure what that really means. Does it mean that they may miss some games and here and there due to complications, or is he saying that at some point they will probably just have to shut the whole thing down and give up?

The latter sounds more likely to be his meaning.

So, we will see if somehow 600 games can be played to make this an official season for fantasy purposes. My limited math skills say that is something like an average of 20 per team. Certainly adds a wrinkle into your strategy if we get to 600 games played and then it could end at any time.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:32 pm

LittleKingKen wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm
Now Manfred says MLB will be lucky to play its full 60 game season. Not sure what that really means. Does it mean that they may miss some games and here and there due to complications, or is he saying that at some point they will probably just have to shut the whole thing down and give up?

The latter sounds more likely to be his meaning.

So, we will see if somehow 600 games can be played to make this an official season for fantasy purposes. My limited math skills say that is something like an average of 20 per team. Certainly adds a wrinkle into your strategy if we get to 600 games played and then it could end at any time.
it's 40 gms per team avg

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 am

One thing that I'll post here, that hasn't gotten a lot of publicity...

Greg has ruled that we will need an innings minimum from pitchers if the season comes up short.
For instance, if the season stops after 40 games (600), we will need 200 IP from our pitchers.
So make sure that requirement is looked at and kept up with as our season goes on.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

LittleKingKen

Post by LittleKingKen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for the heads up on that.....more math though....damn!