Smart

DOUGHBOYS

Smart

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 am

We've heard it and probably said it all year. Kevin Cash is smart. The Tampa Bay Rays are smart.
And in many ways, they are and have been.
Cash and the Rays were not smart last night.
In a hurry to be smart, Cash pulled a pitcher that was mowing down the Dodgers.
His opposite, Dave Roberts loves doing the same thing.

Something happens to Managers during the post season. It's hard for them not to show some kind of control.
Instead of letting the game play out, they interject themselves.
Blake Snell was hot last night. Arozarena HOT.
Simply, you don't mess with HOT.
You ride hot.
When hot in poker, you don't stand up and leave after winning several small pots.
Cash did.

Tampa's bullpen was overused. Not the bullpen that we saw during the regular season.
There was absolutely no reason to see the bullpen after Snell had thrown 73 pitches.
Mookie Betts, Cory Seager, and Justin Turner were 0-6 against Snell, striking out SIX TIMES!
The only one that seemed to care about facing them a third time was Cash.
After the game, Betts was mystified in why Snell had been pulled, but happy too.
It's funny that a ball not hit hard enough to reach the center fielder was the cause for a pitching change.
All that registered in Cash's mind is that he had to do something.

Cash broke the first rule of being a Manager.
1. Play the players that give you the best chance to win.
Instead, Cash went on tilt.
He was winning and a minute later, he was losing.
Most likely, he will never get that chance again.
It's too bad. He is a smart guy.
This time though, he outsmarted himself.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Re: Smart

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:39 am

Agree 100%. Well said. Bonehead decision pulling Snell when he did.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am

I was watching the game with my dad and I told him that Snell doesn't normally pitch deep into games, but his pitch count was so low and he was so effective it would be crazy to pull him. It reminds me of them pulling Greinke early when he was so effective in a different World Series

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 am

i don't watch any games, including postseason. FWIW, when i read about this, it sounded just as doughy said, cash outsmarted himself (unless snell somehow indicated he was hurt or out of gas).

and to top it off, cash replaced snell went with Nick Anderson. The same player who acknowledged after Tuesday night's World Series Game 6 loss to the Dodgers that he battled fatigue during the 2020 playoffs. talk about shooting yourself in the foot. absent (snell hurt or out of gas), a seemingly horrific call by cash

good post doughy