Two Words

DOUGHBOYS

Two Words

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:36 am

I know I'm old school. Proud of it in a lot of ways. Get off my lawn becomes me now.
Anyway, some of the 'new' analysis flat out pisses me off. And as you know if reading this section for awhile, I really dislike how the strike out and base on balls that has become sacred in analytical eyes.
They have K and BB have combined to make baseball so damned boring....ok, I'll stop there. You don't want to hear it.... again....

So, every morning I read the latest roto news from sites. Most are "Duhs". Things we already know.
Mostly, we read them to see if we missed an injury or if somebody is being sent down or DFA'd, etc.
Hardly ever do the writers say anything beyond the news that influences us.
This is not a jab at them. If playing in the NFBC, I just believe that our opinions are as good or better than these scribes.
That goes for podcasters as well. We listen more to be entertained than to learn.

As you know, I feel a lot of these 'analysts' hit ninth in Little League, heard coaches say over and over again, "A walk is as good as a hit" and now pushes that agenda on us as fantasy players and even on players themselves.
That's right.
These nerds think they know what is best for players.
Even a player hitting close to .400
I was floored when I saw the last sentence of this blurb this morning....

'Joey Wendle Plates three in loss
2BT ampa Bay Rays
April 22, 2021
Wendle went 2-for-4 with two doubles, three RBI and a run scored in Wednesday's 9-8 loss to the Royals.

ANALYSIS
Wendle doubled home a run in his first and last at-bats of the evening while driving in his third run on a sacrifice fly in the fifth. The 30-year-old continues to be one of the hottest hitters in baseball at the moment with a slash line of .365/.388/.619 to go along with three home runs, seven doubles, 15 RBI and 16 runs scored. His only concerning stat is a 1:12 BB:K, as he needs to do a better job at working the count against pitchers.

Two words.....FUCK OFF!

I don't usually swear here, but really, man, SHUT UP!
This guy is hitting .365 and you want to change him?
It's like complaining of a mosquito bite on the arm of the girl of our dreams.
This former ninth hitter in Little League wants an MLB player to be like him!
Isn't baseball wonderful?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

fritter

Re: Two Words

Post by fritter » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:27 pm

Always enjoy your posts.....never disappointing. Was thinking the other day as I was watching the Mets leave a couple in scoring position how incredibly difficult its become to watch a game. I don't give a rat's ass about velo,launch, wOBA, xWOBA, or some hottie telling me that 438ft foul ball would be a HR if it was hit straight. Heard a FOX analyst today saying the Mets could win the East if they can score some runs. Christ I never thought of that.
We all love draft season from the early MTMs to the start of spring training and of course hanging out with some great guys at a live draft. The anticipation builds and builds and then the frustrations of April baseball sinks in...lol. Maybe I'm just getting to be an old crank( as my wife likes to say) but I'M tired of replays, shifts, Covid issues, social issues, your pitchers getting yanked up 3 with 2 outs in the 4th, 7 inn games, starting an inning with a guy on 2nd, and obliques. Never had an employee tell me he missed the last couple days because his oblique was bothering him. But in the end the only two words we really want to hear are PLAY BALL!
All the best Dan
Tom Eshenfelder

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 am

fritter wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:27 pm
Always enjoy your posts.....never disappointing. Was thinking the other day as I was watching the Mets leave a couple in scoring position how incredibly difficult its become to watch a game. I don't give a rat's ass about velo,launch, wOBA, xWOBA, or some hottie telling me that 438ft foul ball would be a HR if it was hit straight. Heard a FOX analyst today saying the Mets could win the East if they can score some runs. Christ I never thought of that.
We all love draft season from the early MTMs to the start of spring training and of course hanging out with some great guys at a live draft. The anticipation builds and builds and then the frustrations of April baseball sinks in...lol. Maybe I'm just getting to be an old crank( as my wife likes to say) but I'M tired of replays, shifts, Covid issues, social issues, your pitchers getting yanked up 3 with 2 outs in the 4th, 7 inn games, starting an inning with a guy on 2nd, and obliques. Never had an employee tell me he missed the last couple days because his oblique was bothering him. But in the end the only two words we really want to hear are PLAY BALL!
All the best Dan
Tom Eshenfelder
Thanks Esh... and agree with everything you said!

In a way, we aren't watching real baseball any longer. Its become a parody of itself.
Every participant taking the easy way.
It's easier to shift than play better defense.
It's easier to swing for home runs than hit for average.
It's easier to rest than play with an owwie.
It's easier to have a hitter try for a home run with a runner on first than go for a hit and run.
It's easier to hang on to first base rather than attempting to steal second.
It's easier to throw five innings than nine innings.
It's easier to get an MRI than say, "Screw that, I wanna play."
It's easier for a Manager to count pitches than to determine if his Starter has more gas or not.
It's easier to get paid more for doing less.

As far as analytics, that's easy too.
Strike outs for hitters are ok if hitting for power. Not ok, if you're not.
Walks for hitters are gold. For pitchers, they are not.
Barrels mean more than batting average.
OBP means A LOT MORE than batting average.
MPH from a pitcher means more than results from a pitcher.

And as you mentioned, the new rules.....ugh.
The seven inning double header is the one I detest the most.
Everybody in the press loves it.
They can get off work earlier, meet their deadlines with ease, have a shorter workday.
As always, it is Joe Fan who gets screwed.
Joe Fan wants to see two ball games.
Not two partial games.

Last night, San Diego beat the Dodgers because Fernando Tatis stole third base, then scored on a sacrifice fly.
If not stealing third, the Padres don't score.
Was that the lead? Nope.
'TATIS HOMERS AGAIN IN VICTORY!'
Sad.
When Umpires were having a bad game, a fan would yell from the stands, "You're missing a good ball game, BLUE!"
I feel that analytics is missing a good ball game.
And because of analytics, we're missing a good ball game too.

Again, thanks for the note, Tom.
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:06 pm

RW taking it up a notch, now getting woke preachy ...

Diamondbacks activated RHP Chris Devenski off the restricted list.
Devenski was on the list for "personal reasons," and it's no one's business why he was away from the time. He'll be back in a relief role for Arizona, and he takes the place of Yoan Lopez on the roster; with Lopez heading to the alternate training site in a corresponding move.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:06 pm
RW taking it up a notch, now getting woke preachy ...

Diamondbacks activated RHP Chris Devenski off the restricted list.
Devenski was on the list for "personal reasons," and it's no one's business why he was away from the time. He'll be back in a relief role for Arizona, and he takes the place of Yoan Lopez on the roster; with Lopez heading to the alternate training site in a corresponding move.
Right?
And so wrong.
It IS our business.

Here is one that comes under the "No shit?" heading. Read the last sentence.....

"Dylan Moore went 2-for-3 with a home run, a walk, a stolen base, two total runs and two total RBI in Friday's 7-4 victory versus the Angels.
ANALYSIS
Moore got the Mariners on the board with a 393-foot solo shot in the second inning and followed that up with a run-scoring single in the third. He also scored a run in the sixth frame after leading off the inning with a walk, advancing to second on a wild pitch, stealing third and coming home on a throwing error. The 28-year-old now has five steals on the campaign despite slashing a meager .132/.268/.279. His value as a theft artist would be even greater if he could find a way to get on base more often."
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat May 01, 2021 10:52 am

Wil Crowe will start for the Pirates on Sunday against the Cardinals.
Crowe has compiled a respectable 3.86 ERA, 1.93 WHIP and 5/4 K/BB ratio over 4 2/3 innings (two appearances, one start) this season.
Thank you for your opinion, Mrs Crowe.