Junk Rant

DOUGHBOYS

Junk Rant

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:31 am

I have come to the point where I read 'rotoblurbs' as comedy.
It is fascinating in how writers writing for Roto World or Roto Wire are not really writing to us as fantasy players.
They would rather fall into the SABR approach over the ROTO approach.
Which is ok in most cases, but the names of their sites begin with...ROTO.

I read a blurb about Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani has walked 11 times in three games. The writer seemed very impressed. He called his 'feat' ...surreal.
These so-called roto writers have forgotten that they are speaking to fantasy players. There are very few .OBP fantasy leagues compared to Batting Average fantasy leagues.
These few .OBP leagues are the only leagues that can really celebrate 11 walks in three days.
For the vast majority of fantasy players, these 11 walks were 11 missed opportunities.
During the last three days, Ohtani has gone 0-4, scored one run, and not had an RBI. OVER THREE GAMES!
These moronic writers would rather make a big deal about him drawing walks than what has really happened.
What has really happened is that pitchers would rather avoid Ohtani and pitch to the next batter.
And, it's working.
And you know what these pitchers will get at the end of the year? A demerit for walking a batter. That's all.
Ohtani will be touted for his high OBP at the end of the year. Woo freakin' hoo.
The pitchers have won over the last three days. The pitchers have won.
They have taken the bat out of Ohtani's hands. Thus, taking Ohtani's bat out of his drafters hands.
The Angels lose.
Ohtani's drafters lose.
Meanwhile, the writers, who supposedly are writing to fantasy players are reveling in the 11 walks because of an increased slash line that we, as fantasy players, could give a rat's ass about.
And during the off season, they will also revel in Ohtani's 'ability' to draw a walk.
Comedy.

It's not just walks.
These writers hand out excuses to players who have had previous great years.
Shandler said a player owns a skill once displaying a skill.
They also own writers.

Christian Yelich has all of nine home runs this year. If his name and past was not Christian Yelich, he would have been sent down and a guy named Taylor would be the every day outfielder for the Brewers.
That can't happen because the Brewers have a long contract with Yelich.
Yelich has not even been a mediocre player this year. He's just been plain bad.

Writers cannot call former MVP's...bad.
They make excuses.
Last year, it was the short year. 'Yelich 'never got it going' was said a lot.
This year....this gem....
"The former MVP has struggled to maintain a consistent groove at the dish while battling injury and COVID this summer."
Oh My.
Is that what it was that has effected him all year?
And last year too?
C'mon.
I know we are in the height of the wussification of America, but really, It is perfectly alright to say a player has sucked.
Christian Yelich has sucked.

Fantasy Writers want to sound smart.
A .280/,390/.512 slash line sounds smarter than a hitter batting .280
They forget their audience.
They have an audience that prefers Whit Merrifield to ground into a fielders choice, steal second base, advance to third on a fly ball and score on a single more than any walk to Shohei Ohtani.
Although the fielders choice lessens his slash line, Merrifield's scenario enhanced his fantasy owners team.

Last night, Merrifield had two RBI without getting a hit.
Writers like to call RBI as 'lucky' or 'opportunistic'.
Hmmm.
Well, you know who DOESN'T get those opportunities?
The player who is BEING WALKED 11 TIMES!
Somehow, the base on balls, instead of a weapon of choice by pitchers to good hitters, has become a skill for good hitters.
These writers say it is so.
These writers can see numbers, but do not dig deeper into where these numbers come from.
A writer touts Bryce Harper's OBP while bemoaning the fact that Whit Merrifield's should be higher.
No, it shouldn't.
Harper is a one swing threat. In a lot of cases, pitchers would RATHER see him on first base than take a chance of a big hit.
Just like Ohtani in walking 11 times in three games. It's not rocket science.
Merrifield is more of a threat on the bases, so pitchers focus on throwing strikes.
Pretty simple stuff.
But seemingly over the heads of these writers.
Thank God for slash lines in making them seem smart.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!