FOMO

DOUGHBOYS

FOMO

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:28 am

Early drafts have been amusing. Downright funny sometimes. There is a text code called FOMO.
The fear of missing out.
Early drafters are living by that credo.
They have made Closers a valuable asset. Closers are nice. We all know we need a couple to be in the running for an Overall Championship.
At the same time, we know that Saves are just one category.
Still, I've seen Closers getting drafted ahead of five category players in these early drafts.

We are supposed to be the best fantasy players on earth. We put our money where are touts are.
And yet, there it is...A guy like Raisel Iglesias or Emmanuel Clase being selected before Tim Anderson or Xander Bogaerts on the hitting side and Sandy Alcantara and Shane Bieber on the pitching side.
Instead of drafters predicting who will be closing for teams in March and selecting possible Closers in lower rounds, these drafters are paying up for the security of a Closer who has a job.

I believe it is FOMO that is the driving force. Some think it is other reasons.
One thought is that default has placed Closers too high.
I really don't buy into that.
Although these drafters have been kinda stupid in over drafting Closers, they're not dumb enough to take Buster Posey in the 15th round because he is listed at the top of default.

Others believe that the early drafters are not representative of the NFBC elite.
I agree with this.
And it's tough for me to agree because I am one of the early drafters.
True, I'm not dumb enough to draft Raisel Iglesias in the top of the third round, but it hurts just the same. :D

When the CBA is agreed to and teams start filling out rosters and making decisions about the back of their bullpens, I believe we will see the end of middling Closers being drafted so high. In fact, I think the fall will be hard with some of these Closers now being drafted in the third round dropping to the sixth and seventh rounds.
This will also be because of better drafters in March.
They'll know it's just one category. Among 10.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Re: FOMO

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:10 am

I received some texts about this post.
Am I chastising early drafters for taking Closers so early?
Hell yes.
As a posh English Aristocrat would say, "Oh come now, that is really beneath our standards."
Or as I would say, "What are you, ...Stupid?"

One text received was from a drafter who took Emmanuel Clase and Aroldis Chapman in the fourth and fifth round.
His reasoning was that he is now secure in a category where most drafters are not.
I responded by asking if he lived in a really bad neighborhood. Most of us do not pay more for a security system that sets us back more than the cost of an automobile.
But that is exactly what these drafters are doing. In paying for security, they are passing up on cars that are racing by them.

Is 60 innings max better than a 20-20 season from Story? From Arozarena?
Better than 200 K from Ray? From Gausman?
Covering one category while letting others who cover four or five categories go is security? C'mon.

Another text mentioned that a drafter cannot win the Overall without being good in every category, including Saves.
Maybe.
But over drafting two Closers early is the answer?
I first suggested that he wait till March to draft when Closer jobs were more plentiful for drafters.
Then I turned his argument around.
I suggested that the drafting of Closers so early in drafts would also prohibit a drafter from competing in the Overall.
These drafters are bypassing the very players that would have them competing for an Overall.

So yeah.
I think NFBC drafters are better than this. At least I hope so.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!