RIP Kent Stermon

DOUGHBOYS

RIP Kent Stermon

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:01 am

Kent Stermon took his own life.
I met Kent Stermon after my first year in the NFBC. Kent was a one of a kind fella. He was brutally honest. He was full of life. And you knew that if you were a friend of Kent's, that he would do anything in the world for you.
He enjoyed baseball and especially the NFBC.
Before texts became what they are today, Kent, Andy Nolan, and I would email each other for years talking about strategies for upcoming baseball seasons. We would exchange as much as 20 emails a day in getting our points and opinions across to each other.
Of course, Kent's opinions would dwarf that of Andy and myself. He was bold. And he was loud. Even in print.
Back in the day, when the Message Boards were humming, Kent went under the monicker of 'Chest Rockwell'.
Of course, a loud voice to be heard. In a lot of ways, he was the 'enforcer' of the Boards back then.
Not afraid to tell it like it was for folks who would get a little wayward with their opinions.
Kent would say, "I Chested him!"

As the years past, our emails dwindled as each of us pursued different interests. Well, except me, I'm still as addicted to this hobby as I ever was.
Andy had little ones and once his boy was old enough to know about baseball, it was inevitable that Andy would help coach him.
Kent seemed to throw himself more into his business and became less of a presence in the NFBC.
I never realized about the problems that Kent was facing.
Apparently he was a large political figure in Florida. That shocked me.
In all the conversations and emails with Kent, it was all about Fantasy Baseball, not a word was said about politics.

I'll miss the Kent Stermon that I knew. He was a passionate man with a heart of gold.
A man that pushed me to be the best in fantasy baseball at a time when he was just as passionate about the hobby.
When disagreeing with me about a player, his email would usually start with 'Oh, Danny Boy'. Probably not meant to be liked, but I liked it just the same.

I know that we're not supposed to say anything mean about a man with a RIP post, but I'm going to here.
Kent, I'm pissed at you. I love you, but I'm pissed. You took away a friend from me and many others.
More importantly, you took away a husband from a wife, a father from a daughter.
You had a support system in place. Many people would have helped you with the problems you faced.
Instead, you did something I never thought you had in you. You gave up.
I'll miss you.

Here is the news story detailing the last parts of Kent's life....

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/ ... ae05d92f2a
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

CC's Desperados

Re: RIP Kent Stermon

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:09 pm

Sorry to hear about Kent's passing. It's crazy how life can turn on dime, especially with no warning signs of an issue. I feel for his family and friends, and he will be missed in the fantasy world as well.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:24 am

Horrible, really horrible to read this. Spoke to him in Vegas this year after not seeing him for a few years and he seemed better than ever.
A no BS standup guy not to mention one of the great characters that made the NFBC early days special.

Reading the story and the disturbing series of events, given the political climate, its dificult to know what was self-inflicted and what may have been something else. All the best to his family.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 pm

Dave Clum let me know the day it happened. Neither him nor I could get our heads around it. Whatever the issue (health, legal, political), I cannot fathom what would have driven Kent to this.

I met him in Florida when we were doing drafts down there. We developed a friendship there and on the boards. I knew of his political connections...we spoke of them (before cutting to the chase and getting down the the really important topic....baseball) when I last saw him in New York the one year I drafted there.

Kent was a fierce friend...the guy you wanted on your side. Again...I do not know and will probably never know the true nature of events that ended in this outcome.

I will miss Kent and will take a knee for his family.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer