Winning A Draft

DOUGHBOYS

Winning A Draft

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:34 am

Long time no see.
I'm fine and hope you all are the same.

I happened to hear part of a broadcast on my satelite radio. This fella was talking about how he killed a draft. Killed it. Ugh.
He told his listeners that he started his draft with the current best player in baseball. Seriously?
I don't even know who the best player in baseball is any more! Do you?
Is it Aaron Judge coming off a year for the ages?
Is it Shohei Ohtani who is doing his best impression of Babe Ruth?
Is it Trea Turner who is number one in ADP?
Hell, I don't even have an opinion on the best player in baseball. 100% subjective. 100% asinine.

BUT, this guy wants to make his team sound more shiny. SO, he has the best player in baseball. Uh huh.
He thinks Juan Soto is the best player in baseball.
And drafting out of the 11-spot in a 15 team draft, he thinks he has struck gold.
And of course he brings out the 'value' word to somehow bolster his case that he got one over on his draftmates.
Just to show you how subjective his pick of Soto was....
I have him listed as the seventh best outfielder and as a middle of the second round pick.
I know, I know. That is no way to treat the best player in baseball!

Anyway, he drones on about Soto, ad nauseum before coming to his second pick. Mike Trout.
Now, he has not only the best player in baseball, he has the former best player in baseball.
We're then treated to hear about what Trout has done over his career.
He talks about how the bigger bases may entice Trout to be a force in stealing bases again.
Folks....Mike Trout has stolen four bases over the last three seasons.
The Angels don't want him stealing bases.
Mike Trout doesn't want to steal bases.
He turns 32 this year. Let him be a nice 4-category player with health risks.
Not a possible 30-30 guy.

Then this guy rattles off the rest of his team as if the other players don't count. He has won the draft. With two picks!
How do people like this get on the airwaves? I changed the channel to rock music of the 80's where they were playing " Bat Out Of Hell".
I thought to myself that Meatloaf knew more about fantasy baseball than this guy.

Let's move away from this guy and feature something he said..."Winning the draft"
In one of the earliest drafts of the drafting season, a fellow selected Tyler Glasnow in the seventh round of a DC.
Glasnow now is being drafted in the fourth, fifth, and sixth rounds. Did that guy get 'value'?
No.
If reading my stuff before (seems like a long time ago) :lol: you would know that I believe there is no 'value' on draft day.
It's a word used widely by guys like I heard on radio.
Glasnow's ADP is 77 in February.
That ADP is made up of 93% LOSERS.
That's right even though we are the NFBC, the cream of the crop, the best fantasy players in the world, ADP is made up of NFBC drafters who will LOSE their leagues!
So if beating ADP or getting 'value' by beating ADP, all you've done is conked a loser over the head. There is no value in that whatsoever.
We can't win a draft.
A draft gives us the tools to compete all year long with 14 other teams in order to not be a loser.
No more, no less.

I'm the fella that took Glasnow.
While others see that I beat ADP, I see a guy who will throw less innings than most Starters and also be more susceptible to 'rests', 'set backs', and other words used for missing time.
I certainly don't see Glasnow as a difference maker. More like a risk-reward guy.
He certainly didn't make me feel like I won the draft. Hell, I wouldn't give myself the satisfaction that I even won the round!

I hope all your drafts are doing well.
If wanting to say you got 'value', all the more power to you.
On the face of things, Glasnow fits in that space.
But in my mind, I'd rather wait till October.
That way, I can call him a value pick or some of my favorite curse words.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!