Slumps

DOUGHBOYS

Slumps

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 04, 2023 5:37 pm

I'm having the worst fantasy week of the year so far. We all have them. Some days our hitters collude to add zippo to our categories and our pitchers give us the middle finger as they get beat up. At least, that is what we imagine.... :D
All slumps are destined to end. Just like when our teams are going great. We know that won't last forever.
When younger I took slumps personal.
"How can you throw that pitch?" "You swung at that?!?"
I'd sit on my couch and berate my players.
Getting older gives us patience and wisdom.
Now when my players underperform, I know who's fault it is.
I drafted them. I FAAB'ed them. I put 'em in the lineup.
To me now, the players are never at fault.
Sure, I still roll my eyes when a good pitcher I drafted gets beat up by a poor team.
But one thing this hobby ain't.... is predictable.

Drafting-wise, I've had year-long slumps. No matter who I drafted, they'd get hurt. Underperformance is something we can come back from and try to climb standings.
Injuries kill.
It's not like fantasy football where you plug in a backup running back and he gets the same holes to run through that the number one running back had.
We know if losing a top five round player that he will be irreplaceable.
Last year in some DC's, I was starting four or five active pitchers out of nine starting spots each week.

Slumps can change on a dime. Today, the Marlins broadcaster was bemoaning Jorge Soler's slump and BOOM...a 430 foot homer and three hits.
It's the same with us.
Our Ace can get killed one day.
And the next day we're happy because that pitcher that makes us queazy to start throws a great game.

I love baseball season. I tell my wife that playing fantasy baseball is like reading a wonderful book with 180 chapters.
Each day, we never know what will happen next. Just love it.
Will this be the day that we break out of our slump? Will it be the next day?
Who do I go after in FAAB to turn this thing around?
So many things to think about.
Our hobby is a page-turner that we can't put down.....even when our team slumps.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!