Chicago League 3

Bullgod

Chicago League 3

Post by Bullgod » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:28 am

I drafted out of 13...Hey guys great draft. I too thought there weren't a whole lot of values out there. Which makes you reach at times. We'll see, like everyone else I think my team has a good shot. It was nice to meet you guys and good luck this year. And please let this be the year the injury bug bites someone else!
Pat Sorge

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 am

Originally posted by Beezman:

quote:Originally posted by RobG:

Good luck guys. Can't say I am real happy with the 12, but its a long season.

From the looks of this group though, we may have some Big Ten fans here.

Go State!!! I think the 9th was our 4th preference.

Looks like you're Spartans and my Cardinals are are fighting each other for a 1 seed. With Okla, Pitt, and UConn losing it's possible both get a 1 seed. Good luck everyone.
[/QUOTE]Jason, my heart goes out for you with the Cardinals...but you can't deny Tom Izzo in the tournament.

Now I know why you don't like the Big Ten style of play, it is too rough for those guys in the Big East. Let's hope UConn gets the message.
Rob Giese

The Mighty Men

Chicago League 3

Post by The Mighty Men » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 am

Originally posted by RobG:

quote:Originally posted by Beezman:

quote:Originally posted by RobG:

Good luck guys. Can't say I am real happy with the 12, but its a long season.

From the looks of this group though, we may have some Big Ten fans here.

Go State!!! I think the 9th was our 4th preference.

Looks like you're Spartans and my Cardinals are are fighting each other for a 1 seed. With Okla, Pitt, and UConn losing it's possible both get a 1 seed. Good luck everyone.
[/QUOTE]Jason, my heart goes out for you with the Cardinals...but you can't deny Tom Izzo in the tournament.

Now I know why you don't like the Big Ten style of play, it is too rough for those guys in the Big East. Let's hope UConn gets the message.
[/QUOTE]Michigan State put on a basketball clinic yesterday. Defense and rebounding was tremendous, and they were a pure team on offense, passing, shooting, teamwork...It was great to watch!

I also loved the clip where Izzo talked to his team beforehand and got FIRED UP at the end. I would have loved playing for a guy like that.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Cubsfan22

Chicago League 3

Post by Cubsfan22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:08 am

Rob,

Congrats, Michigan State played a great game. They hit almost every shot, even some bullshit bank in threes in the second half.

I am happy for Izzo, he's definitely a great coach. He (and Steve Mariucci) is actually from the same little my mom is from. We spent every summer there as a kid.

However, UofL picked a bad time to play a horrible game. We're still the better team. We beat Mich St 9 times out of town, no question. And the Big Ten is still awful in hoops (and football for that matter). T Will was horrible and Pitino once again proved he is an inferior coach when it comes in-game coaching.

We live and die college basketball here in the Bluegrass and today is a disappointing day for sure. You have your hands full with UConn.

Baseball season can't start soon enough so my Cubs can let me down too!

Jason

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:32 am

RobG,

I'd like to add one thing to my partners response. The "roughness" of State is not what bothered UofL yesterday. It was the excellent game plan from Izzo, man to man defense, and three point shooting that beat my Cards. Congrats to the Spartans. They whipped us. I'm not sure we'd win 9 out of 10 times, but I feel confident that the Cards and the Big East are a superior team to State and the Big Eleven. Like Jason said, can't wait for my Cubbies to let me down too.

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:34 am

One other thing. The word around town is that Izzo is second to Calipari on the list to succeed Billy Gillispie at UK. I bet Calipari takes the job, but if not you may have to waive your beloved coach good-bye at season's end.

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:30 am

RobG,

I'd like to add one thing to my partners response. The "roughness" of State is not what bothered UofL yesterday. It was the excellent game plan from Izzo, man to man defense, and three point shooting that beat my Cards. Congrats to the Spartans. They whipped us. I'm not sure we'd win 9 out of 10 times, but I feel confident that the Cards and the Big East are a superior team to State and the Big Eleven. Like Jason said, can't wait for my Cubbies to let me down too. I really was shocked that State not only won the game, but also won by as many as they did. Izzo coached a great game and the seniors stepped up. I had to throw the big ten comment in after our conversation at the draft.

I will say though, the Big Ten does find a way to put a team in the final four almost every year even though the conference gets ragged on. Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana...these teams show that having good coaches and tough kids helps come tourney time even if the talent isn't on par.
Rob Giese

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:33 am

One other thing. The word around town is that Izzo is second to Calipari on the list to succeed Billy Gillispie at UK. I bet Calipari takes the job, but if not you may have to waive your beloved coach good-bye at season's end. I just don't see it, but I could be wrong. I actually could see Izzo bolting for the Arizona job before he bolts for UK. One of the issues that Izzo has at State is that he doesn't like dealing with the politics and boosters that he deals with now. At UK he would be in a fish bowl like nothing he has imagined. He also doesn't like losing kids he recruits to schools like North Carolina and Florida, so you never know. If it was about money, then he would have taken the Pistons, Hawks or Cavs job years back.
Rob Giese

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 am

the whole issue with the big 10 imho has been the refs. heck, i see it in girls high school ball. many refs just don't call a foul a foul. i know you should not call 'em all ( they are trained to call "on advantage")- but over the years the big 10 has gotten rougher and rougher. then they get into tourney- and every foul is usually called. it has led to them not doing well. around 2000-2001 the "skill" players quit coming. i can see the other coaches saying- " you won't get a chance to show off your skills when you are being hacked all the time". this year- the seats were have full and the tourney is in detroit- who bought someone off for that? with the economy failing and gm and chrysler failing ( 30 years after they should have) michigan state was needed. they won fair and square- because louisville got out shot and out coached- but the refs were not calling their usual 100 fouls against the big 10 either.

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:47 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

the whole issue with the big 10 imho has been the refs. heck, i see it in girls high school ball. many refs just don't call a foul a foul. i know you should not call 'em all ( they are trained to call "on advantage")- but over the years the big 10 has gotten rougher and rougher. then they get into tourney- and every foul is usually called. it has led to them not doing well. around 2000-2001 the "skill" players quit coming. i can see the other coaches saying- " you won't get a chance to show off your skills when you are being hacked all the time". this year- the seats were have full and the tourney is in detroit- who bought someone off for that? with the economy failing and gm and chrysler failing ( 30 years after they should have) michigan state was needed. they won fair and square- because louisville got out shot and out coached- but the refs were not calling their usual 100 fouls against the big 10 either. I know...and now I can't find cheap tickets anywhere...I guess its bittersweet.
Rob Giese

Cubsfan22

Chicago League 3

Post by Cubsfan22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 am

No way Izzo leaves State for Kentucky. 1.) State is close to his home 2.) He's building a legacy at State 3.) The scrutiny he would be subject to at UK is ridiculous and the expectations are unfair...their fans are delusional 4.) State's program is in 10 times better shape than UK.

I personally would hate it too, as I derive a great deal of satisfaction out UK sucking. Childish I know!

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

some places have lots of sports to look forward to- kentucky has 1 horse race and kentucky basketball. the only way a coach goes there is the same reason they all go $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Cubsfan22

Chicago League 3

Post by Cubsfan22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 pm

That's an ignorant statement. If you lived in Louisville you would probably never leave.

MichiganFantasyTeam

Chicago League 3

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 am

Rob,

What great news you have had with Ziegler and Rodney! I thought we were going to battle for last place in saves ...

I would take the exchange for Lackey being hurt, with the addition of 2 new closers.

Did you take my advice and sign up for any Online Championship leagues?
Over The Top

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:53 am

That was definitely good news for Rob, although I really don't think Rodney will hold on to the closers job for very long.

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:19 am

hey cubs fan- what other sports are there besides college bball and kentucky derby? you need to reread it before you call me ignorant. did not bash the city. ps- if you live there your signature says it all- still rooting for the cubs? college sports coaches are in a fishbowl down there. $ drives those decisions. i doubt very many coaches go to their wives and have there wives say- ya i would love to go to louisville or u kent, if they are from the north. just being realistic. 32 milion $ to coach bball- that is why he went.

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:22 am

Originally posted by OTT:

Rob,

What great news you have had with Ziegler and Rodney! I thought we were going to battle for last place in saves ...

I would take the exchange for Lackey being hurt, with the addition of 2 new closers.

Did you take my advice and sign up for any Online Championship leagues? Yeah, I think I told you when I drafted Rodney how much I hate the guy, but we will have to see. I was happy with the Ziegler news though...if I can get by with three closers the first month and then add Lackey and Santana back to the lineup, we will have to see. It still hurts losing an early pick like Lackey for a month or more.

I did sign up for one online team, but then I got called into a mandatory meeting for a client after round 11, so I had to have a friend take it over, which had mixed results. I started with Wright, Beltran, Berkman, Gonzo and Rios...so I was happy with that.
Rob Giese

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 am

That was definitely good news for Rob, although I really don't think Rodney will hold on to the closers job for very long. Trust me...Rodney blows...lets just hope he doesn't blow three saves in week one.
Rob Giese

Navel Lint

Chicago League 3

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:36 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

what other sports are there besides college bball and kentucky derby? I don't know if they still have a team, but back in the early eighties the Louisville Redbirds were a very popular minor league team and I believe they were the first minor league team to reach 1 million in attendance for 1 season.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:36 am

you are correct. once again did not say people weren't nice, fans weren't great, weather wasn't better and on and on. just pointing out the facts. espn etc. hype sports. they have done a great job of making things " big" that aren't. ncaa= 64 teams. the hype the hype. used to be 16 then 32. the last 32 are gonna win- what 1 game?. enjoy the hype. most of these big schools have 100,000 alumns. about 100 have big bucks- and get their rocks off having their "team" do well. enjoy. 32 million for bball coach- and ku isn't the only school- in this economy. no wonder america is on their way to being a second class economy.

MichiganFantasyTeam

Chicago League 3

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:16 am

Hey Rob,

That's crazy, I started my Online league the same as you. I had the #4 pick and got Wright and Beltran.I also have the same strategy as you with Santana and Lackey in my Online Championship league.

Your Main league is shaping up nice right before the season. Lackey shouldn't hurt you that much by only missing less than a month.

For Rodney, I still don't know what to think. I think it's going to be a big adjustment coming to play in the cold or chilly weather. He was getting rocked in the nice weather down south, with no fan pressue? That scares me...now he is going to have the pressure of keeping the closers job, playing in the cold, playing meaningful games, and throwing strikes. I still like him though, every closer has most of those pressures, except the cold

Did you go to Opening Day 3 years ago when it was snowing? That was crazy!

I made so many bone-head picks in the Main, that I hope I can recover. Zumaya, Blackburn, one decent closer, picking two first-basemen right off the bat. My Main League problems came from rookie mistakes and panic picks. I sure wish I would have taken Utley now with my first pick. I still don't know what I was thinking. I won my league last year with Utley, and now I don't draft him? I think I panicked in the first round when Howard got taken. I was practicing for having Howard on my team and didn't make the proper adjustment when he was selected at number 10. I thought...Tex plays 1st base too, so I'll just take him.

I know...the season hasn't even started yet! But hey...I like analyzing things early.

I have been looking deeper and deeper at teams. I really like how teams 5,7, and 9 drafted. The balance on these teams is going to be hard to contend with. Do any of you guys have teams that you think are the best?

Good luck everyone....I can't wait till the season starts.
Over The Top

MichiganFantasyTeam

Chicago League 3

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:23 am

Rob,

I forgot to ask you a question.

Are you a little nervous having Beltran and Wright together? After I drafted them together, I thought to myself...Maybe its not such a good idea having both of my top picks on the same team. I actually have D. Murphy playing the outfield also.

I didn't really want Beltran, but he was the best player available and he has 5-tool talent.
Over The Top

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:36 am

Originally posted by rucrew2:

quote:Originally posted by headhunters:

what other sports are there besides college bball and kentucky derby? I don't know if they still have a team, but back in the early eighties the Louisville Redbirds were a very popular minor league team and I believe they were the first minor league team to reach 1 million in attendance for 1 season. [/QUOTE]HH, you are correct. Although they are called the Louisville Bats and are the AAA affiliate of the Reds. StL moved to Memphis for their AAA affiliate. The Bats play in Louisville Slugger field and routinely lead all of minor league baseball in attendance. The Minor Leagyue all star game was here last year. That said, I'd much rather be able to claim a major league franchise in one of the sports. College basketball and football is our major leagues. The passion here for UofL and UK is insane. I wouldn't trade that for the anything.

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 am

Oops - duplicate post.

[ April 02, 2009, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Beezman ]

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:02 am

back to baseball- guys are dropping like flys. i was drafting on line last week and a friend was helping me. 13 th round i am looking for a picher. what about baker he says? i knew i liked all the twins pitchers- but somehow baker wasn't on my rader. but i took him as " best available" add that to lyon, gallagher ( my breakout pitcher) and glaus- and off to nice start. but lyon always has sucked, gallagher always was wild and glaus was already pushing back his start date- so no one to blame but myself. the good news is- with 22 twins going on the dl today- maybe the sox can win a game this year in the metro-dome