Joe Sambito

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Joe Sambito » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:29 am

Welcome Back, Ken.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:50 pm

I don't think this league will be decided until the last day.
Ken

sportsbettingman

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:19 am

My only enjoyment now is setting my best lineup, and watching the three of you alternate positions each day it seems...great job of balance...and may the best team win!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Just an FYI. For those of you reading the posts about the rule changes, the "Ken" that has threatened to quit if we go to twice a week changes is not me.

In an earlier post, I said that it didn't matter to me either way.

...in case you were wondering...I get thrown myself reading a post by "Ken" that isn't me.
Ken

Greg Ambrosius

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:43 am

Originally posted by kd.gray:

Just an FYI. For those of you reading the posts about the rule changes, the "Ken" that has threatened to quit if we go to twice a week changes is not me.

In an earlier post, I said that it didn't matter to me either way.

...in case you were wondering...I get thrown myself reading a post by "Ken" that isn't me. Have no fear, Ken. You're spot is being saved for 2006! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:17 pm

Ken/Stevie

May the best man win- it would take a perfect week for us to get first but we can always hope.

You guys fielded great teams all year- we enjoyed competing against you both.

It should be an interesting week.

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:06 pm

Thanks Chest:

I looked at the standings. There are points for us all to win and points for us to lose.

It's pretty exciting to know that every game in the majors has ramifications on our finish. Plus, Leaderboard Sports is hanging around, waiting for one of us to nosedive.

Good Luck
Ken

Joe Sambito

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Joe Sambito » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:08 am

Chest/Ken,

It has been a season long battle, and we have definitely enjoyed competing against you guys. There has also been a fair amount of message board banter, which has also made it fun.

There are still so many points out there in doubt, it will definitely come down to next Sunday (or even Monday if there are any play-in games).

Also, kudos to the rest of the league for staying in it. There was alot of free-agent activity in this last week which was not the case in our league last year.

All and all, it has been alot of fun.

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:56 am

Day one of week 26: Hopping Buffaloes

Joe Sambito

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Joe Sambito » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:16 am

So Chest, your scripted Oswalt as your 3rd round pick. I might have to report you to bjoak...

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:59 am

Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

So Chest, your scripted Oswalt as your 3rd round pick. I might have to report you to bjoak... Very funny he was as close to scripting as we came. Our thoughts were to get a number one starter at pick 38 because pick 53 would be too late. We were wrong on 2 counts 1) Hudson did not pitch like a number one 2) Zambrano and Peavy were both there at 53.

Now be honest- was your strategy to do well in batting average because of Lieberthal and AJ- a wise man tought me this week that if you want to improve batting avg you do it with catchers.

Correct me if I am wrong but going in did you choose to go against the grain and put a slightly higher premium on pitchers than most- and then choose to fill in free agents on offense. If so great job- you did not miss on any of your high picks for pitchers and R Howard, GS, and Gomes have been tremendous for the price.

Joe Sambito

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Joe Sambito » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:29 am

Honestly, we try and take the best guy on the board at that time. However, we also wanted to make sure we got a top flight closer and guys with some positional flexibility, b/c we know from last year how important it is to be active on the waiver wire.

In '04, we went offense with 8 of our first 10 picks. It worked to some extent, but we missed on some of our middle round pitchers, ended up 2nd in our league, 18th overall.

This year when it came time to pick, the starters that were out there just seemed more appealing. We hadn't planned on taking K-rod in round 2, we were really hoping for Jeter, but the other bats we liked were also gone, and we had K-rod rated as our #1 reliever so we pulled the trigger there. coming out of the draft I was nervous we didn't have enough offense, and Corey Patterson mightily regressed as opposed to progressing. So we knew the waiver wire was going to play a big part in our offense.

Similar to your regrets regarding Sizemore, we made a very costly mistake. We picked Tino off the wire early, played him for two weeks got .344 4 hrs and then decided that the bloom was about to come off that flower so we released him b/c we wanted Paul Byrd. Well, Tino went off the next week 6 bombs and we were sick to our stomach. Don't get me wrong Byrd has done well for us, but we should have cut Carlos Pena but we kept thinking he would turn it around. We were right on Tino, too, but a week too early.

Now when I look at the standings I always add in those 6 hrs and 12 rbis and think what should have been.

Feels good to get that off my chest, Chest.

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:12 am

Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

Honestly, we try and take the best guy on the board at that time. However, we also wanted to make sure we got a top flight closer and guys with some positional flexibility, b/c we know from last year how important it is to be active on the waiver wire.

In '04, we went offense with 8 of our first 10 picks. It worked to some extent, but we missed on some of our middle round pitchers, ended up 2nd in our league, 18th overall.

This year when it came time to pick, the starters that were out there just seemed more appealing. We hadn't planned on taking K-rod in round 2, we were really hoping for Jeter, but the other bats we liked were also gone, and we had K-rod rated as our #1 reliever so we pulled the trigger there. coming out of the draft I was nervous we didn't have enough offense, and Corey Patterson mightily regressed as opposed to progressing. So we knew the waiver wire was going to play a big part in our offense.

Similar to your regrets regarding Sizemore, we made a very costly mistake. We picked Tino off the wire early, played him for two weeks got .344 4 hrs and then decided that the bloom was about to come off that flower so we released him b/c we wanted Paul Byrd. Well, Tino went off the next week 6 bombs and we were sick to our stomach. Don't get me wrong Byrd has done well for us, but we should have cut Carlos Pena but we kept thinking he would turn it around. We were right on Tino, too, but a week too early.

Now when I look at the standings I always add in those 6 hrs and 12 rbis and think what should have been.

Feels good to get that off my chest, Chest.

We had Jeter targeted round 2 if we got Abreu in the first round- we passed on him after we went Crawford and he went the next pick. I think we may have overcompensated for Crawford in later rounds because we have run away with RBI's and have a 14 in homeruns.

I think the best overall management job in our league is Ken with ERA, I know Halladay was great but with essentially a staff of #3 fantasy starters he has managed a 15. It would be lucky to do that for a month or so but it requires some schrewd management to do it over the course of a season. If I had a dollar for everytime we said no way he holds on to the 15 in ERA with Westbrook as his ace...

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:21 am

Chest:

I share your surprise with my ERA holding firm. I think the key for me was not having to touch my bullpen. I drafted H Street and B Fuentes in the late rounds and got lucky with both. Then, when I knew I had saves locked up, I benched Mesa before he became...well, Mesa.

When Halladay got hurt, I never really replaced him. I just had to stop rotating Suppan and Westbrook. I hoped Bedard would come back from his injury to step in, but he only got me one win since his DL stint. My lament is wondering where I would be with a healthy Halladay. Both in the league and overall. Another 8 wins, more K's and better ERA and WHIP? Could have been interesting.
Ken

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:47 am

Chest:

I share your surprise with my ERA holding firm. I think the key for me was not having to touch my bullpen. I drafted H Street and B Fuentes in the late rounds and got lucky with both. Then, when I knew I had saves locked up, I benched Mesa before he became...well, Mesa.

When Halladay got hurt, I never really replaced him. I just had to stop rotating Suppan and Westbrook. I hoped Bedard would come back from his injury to step in, but he only got me one win since his DL stint. My lament is wondering where I would be with a healthy Halladay. Both in the league and overall. Another 8 wins, more K's and better ERA and WHIP? Could have been interesting. I will take your lament and offer you a Harden equal time missed overall, and raise you a Benitez. Our motto all along is injuries tend to even out. Stevieland has probably had a little bit better luck with injuries than the 2 of us but that is just one component.From our perspective too is it really unlucky that a young pitcher struggled to stay healthy or that a fat 30 something closer ripped a hammy or poor planning on our behalf. A solid strategy, good day to day management, a great draft will have a lot more to do with why we win or why we get beat than injuries.

I also would disagree with your statement that you got lucky with Street and Fuentes. You were patient with them and it paid off. Not many people hold on to Street early when he is behind Dotel and Calero. Not many people have much to do with Fuentes at all in early April.

Of course all 3 of us know that on the last day of the season if we are in first that there is a decent likelihood that within 1 or 2 days we could be back in 3rd too.

[ September 28, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Chest Rockwell ]

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:24 am

exactly

As of today, I see 3 points that I can lose easily: (Wins: 1, Avg: 1, runs: .5, HR: .5)

While I only have 1 point available to win (the half points in runs and HR).

My teams health early in the season is what allowed me to be patient with the two set up guys. One or two 15 day DL stints and they are probably the first to go.
Ken

Chest Rockwell

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:19 am

exactly

As of today, I see 3 points that I can lose easily: (Wins: 1, Avg: 1, runs: .5, HR: .5)

While I only have 1 point available to win (the half points in runs and HR).

My teams health early in the season is what allowed me to be patient with the two set up guys. One or two 15 day DL stints and they are probably the first to go. Hopefully we have no points to lose other than a half point in runs, some wacky things could happen on the pitching side.

We have 2.5 achievable points half in runs and 2 in avg, we could with a ton of luck get a point more in avg, sb's or saves- but doing something like gaining ground on a 3 save deficit in 4 days is next to impossible.

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:38 am

but doing something like gaining ground on a 3 save deficit in 4 days is next to impossible Derrick Turnbow...1 down 2 to go.
Ken

kd.gray

Las Vegas NFBC League 5

Post by kd.gray » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:41 am

I sure wish I could look at everyone's live stat feeds at the same time.

Too many pages to open.
Ken