Ultimate Draft: FAAB for draft order in 2006?

The Lollygaggers

Post by The Lollygaggers » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:17 pm

There was some discussion earlier this year about using FAAB money to bid on draft order. I’d like to see this idea implemented at next year’s Ultimate Draft. Given the strength of the league (and the payout!), I’d like to have the opportunity to bid on a draft position instead of having it randomly assigned. (Please note - I’m not implying that draft spot determines a team’s fate, and this isn’t a “sour grapes” post. I’m happy with my first two selections of Soriano and Teixeira from the #12 slot. The “all Texas” strategy went south in the third round, though, as Ryan Drese didn’t pan out...OK, I made that last part up.)

I understand the hesitation to implement FAAB bids for the main event, since it would be like herding cats to get 300-plus bid sheets. But for a single-league contest like Ultimate, I don’t think there would be a problem. We could use the same FAAB mechanism that we use for free agent pickups: Bid on your preferred draft positions (in ranked order), then assign an FAAB amount to each bid. Teams that don’t win a bid would have their full $1000 of FAAB money and would be randomly assigned to the remaining slots.

What do you all think?

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:57 pm

I'm currently in the Ultimate Draft and in 3rd place. I couldn't be happier with my first two selections (Pujols and Oswalt) from the 3 hole. As you stated, this is not a sour grapes post. I like your idea. It adds another element of strategy which can't be a bad thing! However, when would this FAAB bidding take place? Were you thinking a week before the actual draft? Remember that this can only take place when Greg closes the league and that may be at the last minute depending on signups if they try for two Ultimate Draft leagues next year. If it's just one league it should fill way in advance and not be an issue. Mark me down as a yes vote.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:12 am

oh ya!! blind bidding on draft slots!!! wooohooo!

The Lollygaggers

Post by The Lollygaggers » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:29 am

Nevadaman - Last year, Greg announced the Ultimate Draft participants and draft position on Feb 28. The actual draft took place 3 weeks later on Mar 20. My suggestion for 2006 would be for Greg to announce the participants 3 weeks before the draft, then give the players 1 week to submit FAAB bids for draft position. That way we would know our draft position 2 weeks in advance.

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:19 am

That works for me.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:04 am

This is truly a special group of owners and if there was total agreement in something like this I would have no problem agreeing to it. You guys will have first shot at returning next year and thus would have first shot at helping form things in the Ultimate League. I'm not sure EVERY owner would be up for using FAAB to bid for their draft spots, but if any league should attempt this the Ultimate League is the one. Keep the discussion flowing and I'll definitely consider it if there is total consensus on the idea. I agree with Eric that this is the one league worthy of this discussion.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:14 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

This is truly a special group of owners and if there was total agreement in something like this I would have no problem agreeing to it. You guys will have first shot at returning next year and thus would have first shot at helping form things in the Ultimate League. I'm not sure EVERY owner would be up for using FAAB to bid for their draft spots, but if any league should attempt this the Ultimate League is the one. Keep the discussion flowing and I'll definitely consider it if there is total consensus on the idea. I agree with Eric that this is the one league worthy of this discussion. I'll be back, and I vote for FAAB bids for draft spots.

D
Just Some Guy

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:35 am

I am not in the Ultimate (wife isn't ready for $5k yet!), but I LOVE this idea.

It truly bothers me around random pick order. This concept is fantastic!!!

Greg, I understand the issue around the 300+ big league, but this concept rocks!!

Regards,

Spy