Chicago League 3

Greg Ambrosius

Chicago League 3

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 am

The Chicago main event will be held at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center on Saturday, March 21st starting promptly at noon CST with 4 full leagues. Please be on time as all drafts will start exactly at the top of the hour. Here is the draft order for Chicago League 3:

CHICAGO LEAGUE 3

1. Ted Jarzabek, Oaklawn, Illinois

2. Sandi Kleemann, Palatine, Illinois

3. Jason Kreiter, Chicago, Illinois

4. George Puhl, Metamora, Illinois

5. Mike Diedrich, Darien, Illinois

6. Eric Albright, Loveland, Ohio

7. David Shovein, Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

8. Jim Mieszala, Hartford, Wisconsin

9. Jason Aberli, Louisville, Kentucky

10. Paul LeMarbre, Waukesha, Wisconsin

11. Kevin O'Rourke, Clawson, Michigan

12. Rob Giese, Shelby Township, Michigan

13. Pat Sorge, Schaumburg, Illinois

14. Sam Thornton, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

15. Jack Haan, Palos Heights, Illinois
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Likewhat17

Chicago League 3

Post by Likewhat17 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:41 am

Can't complain with the 7 spot.. I look forward to competing with all of you!

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 am

jim mieszala- maybe 3rd time is charm. good luck to all. mike

Less than Dave

Chicago League 3

Post by Less than Dave » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:16 am

Mike, 5 woulda looked great before the AROD injury... still not a bad spot to be in... good luck!

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 am

Good luck guys. Can't say I am real happy with the 12, but its a long season.

From the looks of this group though, we may have some Big Ten fans here.

Go State!!!
Rob Giese

The Mighty Men

Chicago League 3

Post by The Mighty Men » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:01 am

I'm guessing, Rob, that 12 was not your last KDS spot.

15 was our last KDS spot, so we were last out of the hat and got our last pick. Brutal.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am

Originally posted by RobG:

Go State!!! I think the 9th was our 4th preference.

Looks like you're Spartans and my Cardinals are are fighting each other for a 1 seed. With Okla, Pitt, and UConn losing it's possible both get a 1 seed. Good luck everyone.

[ March 13, 2009, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Beezman ]

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:00 am

Originally posted by Beezman:

quote:Originally posted by RobG:

Go State!!! I think the 9th was our 4th preference.

Looks like you're Spartans and my Cardinals are are fighting each other for a 1 seed. With Okla, Pitt, and UConn losing it's possible both get a 1 seed. Good luck everyone.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, Louisville beats Nova tonight and I think they are a lock for a one seed. I really don't think that UConn deserves one...if MSU and Memphis both win their conf. tournaments then we will have some real debating.
Rob Giese

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

I'm guessing, Rob, that 12 was not your last KDS spot.

15 was our last KDS spot, so we were last out of the hat and got our last pick. Brutal. Yeah, you have me beat there. That was my 12th kds spot. The end of the round set up nicely in a satellite last night for some teams, so you never know.
Rob Giese

Likewhat17

Chicago League 3

Post by Likewhat17 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm

any other main event first timers in this league, or am I the only one?

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 am

Originally posted by Likewhat17:

any other main event first timers in this league, or am I the only one? This is my first time, but I am partnering with a veteran (Jason Aberli).

MichiganFantasyTeam

Chicago League 3

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Beezman

Member # 18250

Member Rated:

posted March 16, 2009 07:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first time, but I am partnering with a veteran (Jason Aberli).

This is also my first time in the Main event for the NFBC. So it makes 2 of us.

See you all Saturday

I got the 11th pick, I sure wanted a top 4 pick, but, "it is what it is".

Be safe traveling everyone and see ya soon!
Over The Top

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:03 am

Originally posted by OTT:

Beezman

Member # 18250

Member Rated:

posted March 16, 2009 07:14 AM

quote:

This is my first time, but I am partnering with a veteran (Jason Aberli).

This is also my first time in the Main event for the NFBC. So it makes 2 of us.

See you all Saturday

I got the 11th pick, I sure wanted a top 4 pick, but, "it is what it is".

Be safe traveling everyone and see ya soon! Thanks, look forward to sitting next to you on Saturday, hopefully my flight makes it in that morning.
Rob Giese

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 am

Hey guys, we enjoyed the draft and were happy to meet some good people. Drafting out of the 9th spot was interesting. We were hoping for Rollins, but when he came off the board ahead of us we were thrilled to get Sizemore.

Some of the highlights for us were to get Greinke, Danks, Baker, Garza and Price to lead our staff. We were big on Spilborghs and we're thankful we got him in the 17th. He went earlier than our pick in two of the other drafts in Chicago. We were also quite happy to land Longoria in the 2nd.

We missed out on Paul Maholm and we wanted Justin Upton in round 11. He went a few picks ahead of us. We also were planning to take Matt Capps and RobG grabbed him 2 ahead of us. We ended up disappointed with our second and possible closers/

We had a great time and it was nice meeting all of you. I wish you good luck and good health for the season.

Walter Sobczak

Chicago League 3

Post by Walter Sobczak » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 am

I drafted out of the 10 spot and was under prepared because I was filling in for the owner who had a last second emergency. I have been planning for weeks now drafting out of the 15 spot and had this week to plan my final 10 rounds.

I was happy to land Ichiro, Vlad, and M. Ordonez in rounds 3-5 because I thought those were value picks. Felix, Joba, and Eddison as our top 3 starters - was a good feeling to. Other than B. Molina and I-Rod at C, I felt the rest of the draft got away from me and I scrambled to make picks.

Took a chance on A-Rod and I think I am going to be happy I did.

To Team 9 - Congrats on Baker and Jose Lopez. I was so mad when you took them.
2004-2006/2009 Chicago's Draft Drunk!

"It seemed like the thing to do at the time..."

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally posted by Beezman:

We missed out on Paul Maholm and we wanted Justin Upton in round 11. He went a few picks ahead of us. We also were planning to take Matt Capps and RobG grabbed him 2 ahead of us. We ended up disappointed with our second and possible closers/

We had a great time and it was nice meeting all of you. I wish you good luck and good health for the season. No, that was Kevin that took Capps, I went against my better judgment and took Kerry Wood the pick ahead of Capps. I will probably not be happy about it in like 3 weeks.

I do want to say that you guys were all spot on and great drafters all afternoon. Looking at the other three drafts that day and reviewing some of the other teams in the other 3 cities, we may have the most competitive draft results of any.

Hate to say it, but with the competition in this league, we may have a rough time producing an overall winner. Hopefully I am wrong. Good luck to all.
Rob Giese

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 am

i am going to anoit rob- team 12, as the team to beat. just too many good players. got real values in connor jackson and chris young imho. lots of guys that can go 20-15 or 15-20. of course that probably means you are jinxed rob- but i do like the team. the league looks real close- but they always do when i look. lots of times 20 homers 20 sb's 40 rbis and runs and .2 in b.a. are the difference between 55 points and 40. same with pitching. although in my case- i won't be getting many points in saves.

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

i am going to anoit rob- team 12, as the team to beat. just too many good players. got real values in connor jackson and chris young imho. lots of guys that can go 20-15 or 15-20. of course that probably means you are jinxed rob- but i do like the team. the league looks real close- but they always do when i look. lots of times 20 homers 20 sb's 40 rbis and runs and .2 in b.a. are the difference between 55 points and 40. same with pitching. although in my case- i won't be getting many points in saves. Thanks, I do hope your right. I drafted on balance, but once injuries take hold (Lackey) then you never know. Like I said though, we don't have many "bad" teams drafted in this league, so injuries, management (or mis-management) of FAAB and how people manager their lineups will ultimately be the difference.

Anyone else get upset reading some of the values that other owners got in non-Chicago 3 drafts? Unreal is some cases.
Rob Giese

MichiganFantasyTeam

Chicago League 3

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 am

I have been thinking that since we drafted (that there was some unreal draft picks in other leagues). I also think we will have a very strong competitive league with very balanced teams. My favorite teams were 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12. Which really hurt me because I was drafting right behind them and right in-front of Rob. I can't even explain to you guys how many of my picks (wanted picks) got snagged by you guys.

I truely feel like you guys did a fantastic job!

Some picks I really liked...

Ryan Spillboughs was the pick of the draft! along with Sizemore going a little late.

Jason Motte went the earliest, but that guy looks to be a stud, so I think that was also an amazing gamble.

I hope we can all stay very active on the message boards
Over The Top

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:37 am

I agree that our league is very balanced with a lot of smart owners.

We got exited about Conor Jackson because we thought he was slipping to us and then he went two slots ahead of us. My partner would have cried if we didn't get Spilborghs and I would have puked if we didn't get Danks. Those were two guys we wanted the most. Luckily we got them. I looks like we took Danks a little early (9.09), but I think it will prove to be a good pick. We were very fortunate to take Spilborghs at 17.09.

[ March 26, 2009, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Beezman ]

Likewhat17

Chicago League 3

Post by Likewhat17 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:40 am

I agree that the league is very balanced, and should be exciting all year.. The one guy that I couldn't risk not getting was Chris Carpenter. If he can stay healthy, he's a steal in Round 13. Also really liked the values of Victor Martinez in the 5th and Rich Harden in the 10th. Look forward to competing with all of you this season!

RobG

Chicago League 3

Post by RobG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:47 am

I agree that the league is very balanced, and should be exciting all year.. The one guy that I couldn't risk not getting was Chris Carpenter. If he can stay healthy, he's a steal in Round 13. Also really liked the values of Victor Martinez in the 5th and Rich Harden in the 10th. Look forward to competing with all of you this season! That Carpenter pick is going to be money all year. I was just hoping he slid back to me. When he didn't, I settled on Ervin Santana and hope he can make at least 27 or so starts.

Spillborgs could be a great pick where he was taken as well.

A pick that I actually screwed up on was Manny Corpas. I actually wrote down Corpas, but it was Parra, so I think someone could have stole a closer pretty late.
Rob Giese

headhunters

Chicago League 3

Post by headhunters » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 am

funny- i have parra and corpas. together they could suck- or not. this is the best time. we all have good teams- we are all tied for 1st. i hope we can get to april 6 without someone getting hurt bad- but the way it is going that won't happen. i know it only spring training but the guys i really want are all the pitchers going against the astros and all the hitters going against baltimore!

The Mighty Men

Chicago League 3

Post by The Mighty Men » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 am

One of the picks that got me the most was Jay Bruce falling to you, Mike, at 7.5. I watched in utter disbelief as each of teams 1 through 4 passed on him not once, but twice, in rounds 6 and 7 so that he came back to you. I knew there was no way you'd not take him in round 7.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

JamesH

Chicago League 3

Post by JamesH » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

One of the picks that got me the most was Jay Bruce falling to you, Mike, at 7.5. I watched in utter disbelief as each of teams 1 through 4 passed on him not once, but twice, in rounds 6 and 7 so that he came back to you. I knew there was no way you'd not take him in round 7. We discussed Bruce at pick 5 and 6. Both times we decided against it because we didn't get enough average in the earlier rounds. He'll probably hit .300 and make us look real dumb.