Urena

Yah Mule

Urena

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Take a line drive off the orbital bone, you bush league sonofabitch.

Edwards Kings

Re: Urena

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm

...on a 97 mph fastball. Realmuto was not expecting it. Urena is a hump...

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Watching the replay, Realmuto's body language suggests he was disgusted. I'm hearing that it was rumored in both clubhouses before the game that this might happen. Where the hell was Mattingly while this was going on? Is he that checked out mentally or did he condone this?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 am

Wow.
Coward. Pussy. Ass.
Urena has been called a lot of names.
I believe that Acuna needed to be backed away from the plate. When a 20 year old kid owns the batters box, a reminder has to be sent from the pitcher.
The pitch was so egregiously inside, however, that Urena has been called all those names.
Fair.
Was there intent?
I don't believe so.
Urena led baseball in hit batsman last year. He is not a headhunter, just wild.
This year, even with fewer innings, he is in the top 10 of that category.
The reason he is not a great pitcher, even though blessed with great stuff, is that he does not hit location.
He misses location in and out of the strike zone.
A Lot.
I believe that Urena wanted to back Acuna off the plate and what happened, happened.

Is it bad for baseball?
Darntootin' it is!
Baseball loves its kids like a Father.
If it had been a 39 year old Barry Bonds at the plate, not much would have been said.
We protect our kids and get upset when they are hurt.
It is too bad and I hope that Acuna comes back fast.

I believe that the suspension handed down will serve no purpose.
Let's say that Urena hit Acuna on purpose and even told the press that he hit Acuna on purpose after the game.
Horrible, right?
MLB suspends him for 40 games.
Urena starts his vacation early. The Marlins continue going through the motions.
What lesson is learned?
Baseball has to find another way to 'punish' its players.
The system in place, flawed.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am

Since players in both clubhouses were talking about the possibility of this happening prior to the game, I don't see how Urena's lack of command is relevant.

I remember Russ Springer and especially Ryan Dempster catching a lot of well deserved crap for intentionally hitting Bonds. Both of them admitted they did it and both of them later regretted their actions. They realized mediocrity lashing out at greatness is not a good look.

What alternative punitive methods do you suggest instead of suspensions?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am
Since players in both clubhouses were talking about the possibility of this happening prior to the game, I don't see how Urena's lack of command is relevant.

I remember Russ Springer and especially Ryan Dempster catching a lot of well deserved crap for intentionally hitting Bonds. Both of them admitted they did it and both of them later regretted their actions. They realized mediocrity lashing out at greatness is not a good look.

What alternative punitive methods do you suggest instead of suspensions?
Talk is cheap.
Urena's lack of command is relevant in that if aiming at him, the pitch could have just as easily gone behind Acuna.
Backing him off the plate may have led to what actually happened.
It's neither here nor there since intent is so hard to prove.

Suspensions do little.
PEDS offenders have offended and re-offended again and again.
Off field bad acts are treated with harmless suspensions.
Jose Reyes and Roberto Osuna know that little in the form of penalty awaits them professionally before hitting women.
Same for football players.
If Urena is suspended, it has no effect.
What I would like to see is all players contracts tied to suspensions.
For instance, let's say that Urena is suspended for 10 games.
He loses a half percent of future money to charity for each day suspended.
In this case, Urena would gross 95% from future contracts. The rest would go to a charity.
This would stop bad behavior. The person players listen to most, is there agent.
The agent would be affected by less money and get in players ears imploring them to do the right things.
This would hit the PED industry hardest.
Starling Marte, Dee Gordon, and Robinson Cano, etc would be damned careful about what goes into their bodies with a suspension AND this penalty hanging over their head.
It may actually stop a Reyes or Osuna fist from moving forward.
This penalty is harsh. The opposite of what we have now.
I'm guessing there is something in between that would be more appealing (especially to players and their agents :lol: )
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Urena said he tried to run the ball in on him but didn't mean to hit Acuna...

If I remember correctly, I heard on sportscenter that it was also the fastest pitch Urena had thrown all season.

Sure, intent is hard to prove but not in the court of public opinion where Urena is guilty.

On a positive note, good to see that Acuna was leading off the next day.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:14 am

rkulaski wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 pm
Urena said he tried to run the ball in on him but didn't mean to hit Acuna...

If I remember correctly, I heard on sportscenter that it was also the fastest pitch Urena had thrown all season.

Sure, intent is hard to prove but not in the court of public opinion where Urena is guilty.

On a positive note, good to see that Acuna was leading off the next day.
Yes, thank goodness Acuna is fine. I think Urena did it on purpose. My "evidence" of intent is Realmuto. On a slipped pitch or accidental hit batsman, the catcher will walk to the mound to get between his pitcher and whatever may come at him. Realmuto just hung his shoulders and stayed at home plate letting Urena face the fury on his own.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

croakerkane

Post by croakerkane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Baloney. When did Major League Baseball become A League of Their Own? Oh, I remember. When they stopped running over the catcher and made the take out slide illegal. All I hear from modern hitters is if you gotta hit me, then hit me, just don't throw at my head (ref. Clemens vs. Piazza) That rookie was owning that team and needed to be sent a message. That pitch was right where it should have been: right at the kid's back. Turn away from the beanball, rookie, not into it.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 am

croakerkane wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 pm
Baloney. When did Major League Baseball become A League of Their Own? Oh, I remember. When they stopped running over the catcher and made the take out slide illegal. All I hear from modern hitters is if you gotta hit me, then hit me, just don't throw at my head (ref. Clemens vs. Piazza) That rookie was owning that team and needed to be sent a message. That pitch was right where it should have been: right at the kid's back. Turn away from the beanball, rookie, not into it.
I call your baloney fried. 8-)

Message equals chin music, a brush back, or something off-speed if you are hunting for meat. Not gassing up to the hardest pitch basically thrown all year. It was a malicious cheap shot, not "old-school".
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 am
croakerkane wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 pm
I call your baloney fried. 8-)

Message equals chin music, a brush back, or something off-speed if you are hunting for meat. Not gassing up to the hardest pitch basically thrown all year. It was a malicious cheap shot, not "old-school".
It was definitely a better game when dudes like Ray Fosse saw their careers ruined over a run in an exhibition game. At least we didn't have to watch Tony Conigliaro go to the Hall of Fame. That would have sucked.

croakerkane

Post by croakerkane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:58 pm
Take a line drive off the orbital bone, you bush league sonofabitch.
So you would like to see a guy's career ended because he threw a non-career threatening pitch?
Last edited by croakerkane on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justiceberry

Post by justiceberry » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 am

Acuna is a beast

croakerkane

Post by croakerkane » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm

I guess Clevinger is a bush league SOB too, since he just plugged a guy that was all over him with the same pitch that hit Acuna. Let’s hope he takes a line drive to the head. Oh, and by the way, Ray Fosse agrees.

https://www.foxsports.com/west/video/1257446467662

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm

croakerkane wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm
I guess Clevinger is a bush league SOB too, since he just plugged a guy that was all over him with the same pitch that hit Acuna. Let’s hope he takes a line drive to the head. Oh, and by the way, Ray Fosse agrees.

https://www.foxsports.com/west/video/1257446467662
Unless Clevinger was boasting about hitting someone before the game, this comparison is not a good one.

Of course Fosse feels that way. Old school stupidity isn't going away anytime soon.

croakerkane

Post by croakerkane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Major League Baseball=
Urena's reaction to the Brave's retaliation, hitting Urena:

"For me, it was, just play the game, like normal," said Urena. "If they want to do something, if they were ready to do that, good for them. I just tried to keep playing the game to cover for my team."
https://sports.yahoo.com/braves-marlins ... 54507.html

Bush League Baseball=

Braves bench Ronald Acuña Jr. for admiring long fly that resulted in single
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/brav ... in-single/

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Nice to see you're still trailing me around like a puppy a year later. Also nice that you still believe hot-dogging is worse than trying to wreck a guy's career. Reveals a lot about your character.

croakerkane

Post by croakerkane » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:16 am

Ouch! I give. I just found it humorous watching him admire that double.... Agree to disagree.