Stan Kaye

DOUGHBOYS

Stan Kaye

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:36 pm

One of the worst things about getting older is seeing folks known pass away.
Worse yet, with the information super highway, we can 'meet' a person, really enjoy their company and have them pass away without ever meeting them in the flesh and still feel great sorrow and loss.
Stan Kaye passed away last Saturday.
I met Stan through the NFBC. He was one of the first members of the NFBC.
He won the first Main Event he played in during the NFBC's inaugural season. Stan played in the live Main Events for as long as his health would let him.
Since, he has entered many events online. Sometimes sharing teams with his son and also with Bryan Vogel, who also befriended Stan through the NFBC.
Stan enjoyed reading my posts here and he would call me to let me know if he agreed or disagreed with what was said.
I loved those calls.

A few years ago, during a Draft Champions league, Stan suffered a heart attack. His last words as he was being loaded into the ambulance to go to the hospital was to tell his wife to tell us in the draft room what was happening....and his next pick.
Stan was a typical NFBC member.
He loved life.
He loved his family.
And he really loved fantasy baseball.
I know that Bryan and I will really miss the phone calls with Stan.
I just thought that everyone should know that we've lost a fantasy friend and a very good man.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ChipChopChip

Re: Stan Kaye

Post by ChipChopChip » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:58 pm

I participated in several NFBC leagues with Stan and had the honor to play in a fantasy baseball league with his family and friends. Stan was a class act and I will also miss talking baseball with him.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Sad news.
He will be missed.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I never met Stan, but he sure sounds like a good man. RIP Stan. It surely is a loss for our NFBC.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks for posting this Dan. I did not know this. RIP Stan, a good man and a die-hard baseball fan.

Stan called me during our first NFBC season in the winter of 2003 or January of 2004. He was from Texas (which you knew when you talked with him on the phone) and he told me he was thinking of coming to Chicago to draft for the Main Event. We didn't get many calls like that back then, so this was special. He called several times to ask about the rules and if he could bring his son and more. I knew he was serious and he was one of the earlier signups for the Chicago Main Event in 2004.

He won his league title and went back with his son the next year and a few years after that. When his son was too busy to fly with him to Chicago and his health started to make it tougher to fly, Stan started drafting the Main Event Online. Then he went with more online options outside of the Main Event, especially the Draft Champions leagues.

Stan was a character for sure. I'm sure he'd admit that he wasn't very computer savvy and I'm pretty sure either Tom or myself signed him up for every single contest he entered. He couldn't quite figure out the Registration process and didn't trust putting his credit card online. So we talked with him a lot and helped him out a lot in drafts or before drafts. But they were always easy and enjoyable conversations.

I knew he had bounced back from his heart problem a few years back and was glad to see him drafting online again. This was his favorite time of the year as he loved drafting well in advance of the season. RIP Stan, one of our 195 NFBC Main Event Charter Members. You will be missed.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Wow, this is terrible news. I met Stan in Chicago for the 2004 event I ran there. A genuinely nice guy and as Greg said he remained a part of the NFBC every year after that. He loved baseball, playing in the NFBC and was always a pleasure to talk to. Like Greg said, Stan wasn't the most computer savvy guy in the world :) so we always knew it was baseball season because he was calling us to sign up for drafts. :) I only met him the one time but he was as much a part of the NFBC family as anyone. I'm so sorry to hear about this. RIP to Stan and my thoughts are with his family and friends.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Sorry to hear this for sure. Thanks for letting us know, Dan. Condolences to both you and BV (and all who knew him). I never did meet him in person, but had the chance to also speak to him on the phone the past few years for signups/etc...he always made me giggle for one reason or another. RIP, Stan.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Stan was a great guy. I felt something ominous when I got the call from his son. Not a call anyone wants to get. I last spoke with him 3-4 weeks ago and he was excited about sharing our annual Mia League team as well as an OC. While we mostly talked about baseball, we also discussed life in general. In a way he became a surrogate father, doling out advice and wisdom commiserate with his age. And he rolled with it when I disagreed with one of his picks and never took my diatribes seriously.
He'll be missed for sure. But those of us that knew him and yes, his computer "issues" will keep his memory alive I'm sure.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:26 pm

So sorry to see, Stan will be missed.

Adding to his computer lore, I used to get a yearly phone call, asking for help subscribing to my site. I'd talk him through the process, it usually took five to ten minutes. We'd then talk another hour about the upcoming season, after which he'd always joke, "Now I don't have to subscribe." Quite a character.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:42 am

Deeply saddened by this news. My last text to him was that he was "up" of course. :) I had the pleasure of getting to know Stan as one of the original Mia owners before it was even known as the Mia. He was the genuine article and he will be missed. My condolences to BV and to Stan's family. May he forever be at the great fantasy baseball draft table in the sky...
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Damn :cry:

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:18 pm

Just read this.... I knew Stan a little bit not too well but sad to hear this.

Thanks for letting the nfbc community know, Dan.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN