Corona virus - NO BULLSHIT Thread

Gekko

Corona virus - NO BULLSHIT Thread

Post by Gekko » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 am

Hi Greg,

No one wants to be “that guy” to post, but I’ve heard from enough NFBC owners in the past 24 hours that I’ll take one for the team.

Due to the coronavirus situation, events, conferences and schools are being cancelled left and right. Just yesterday, New York Gov. Cuomo deployed the National Guard to New Rochelle, to establish a “containment zone” around New Rochelle. “The numbers are going up unabated, and we do need a special public health strategy for New Rochelle.”

Tout Wars was scheduled to take place in the same city and same hotel as the NFBC this weekend; however, Tout Wars pulled the plug and moved to an online draft instead.

Recent Twitter posts and NFBC MB posts have some owners already cancelling their NFBC travel plans.

And all of this is with only 1,000 US positive cases. That number could be much worse this time next week.

From all indications, the NFBC is marching on. With many NFBC owners scheduled to travel beginning tomorrow, can the NFBC confirm that the live events are moving forward as is?

Has consideration been made to cancel the live events, move all drafts online and cancel the auctions?

Also, if auction owners do not show up for the auction, will the auction move forward with only 12 or 13 or 14 owners? Will that league still be included as part of the overall auction championship?

Sorry to be the messenger on these questions; however, many owners are asking and it’s the 11th hour. Thank you.

fwicker

Re: Corona virus - NO BULLSHIT Thread

Post by fwicker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am

I canceled my travel plans early on and lost out on the NL and AL only auctions I was scheduled for in Las Vegas.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

Mark, you're not the fall guy here. You're asking great questions. Hell, I'm even getting shit from my family members for flying to New York and then Las Vegas. It's not easy on any of us and it doesn't help that our leaders aren't being totally open and transparent about the numbers, how you catch the virus, how long the virus lives and more. This is maddening for all of us.

I am going to email the Chicago and New York owners this morning to see exactly what everyone is doing. Tout Wars canceling yesterday put many industry writers in a tough spot as they scrambled to cancel flights and hotel rooms. Then they cancelled New York Main Event plans to draft live. That's not a problem because they can all still draft online, but almost every Tout/NFBC drafter is staying home. Nobody from the Chicago auction or draft has contacted me or seems inclined to stay home, so that is going on as planned.

The drafts are easy to take care of. Everyone stays in their assigned leagues even if they can't make it live and can do it in person or online. Just realize that we'll take 10 minute breaks after Rounds 10 and 20, but the software is compatible to draft live, in the hotel bathroom or 2,000 miles away. I see no issues with drafts.

The auctions are more problematic and I can't just cancel them when possibly 13 or so owners are planning on being live. One person said I'm responsible for any sicknesses or deaths that come from not cancelling everything by now, but honestly New York has mushroomed in the last day or two, not the last two weeks. Everything is changing so fast that it's impossible to plan for Las Vegas because that seems like a lifetime from now. To cancel now when the vast majority of owners are still planning to be there live is as irresponsible as doing the opposite. At least that's how I feel now.

Here's the official statement: We do not have plans to cancel the live events. We will accommodate everyone in a draft by just letting them draft online. We will send out an email to all auction participants to get a head count on who is coming and who isn't and see what we can do. At this point, I don't know if 15, 13 or 10 owners are going to be live in New York City on Friday. Before yesterday, I had heard from only one New York owner who wanted a proxy for him at the New York auctions and I said I would be that proxy. We will run 15-team auctions; none can go with 13 or 14 or 12 owners. And we will try to have personal proxies rather than put 12 live auction owners online.

That's the plan for now. I need to email everyone and get feedback. We will try to accommodate anyone who can't make it live for the auction. And then we'll see if that's feasible or not, but I'll know shortly.

And lastly, I want to say THANKS to everyone who has called me so far. Nobody is demanding their money back; they honestly want to do an auction in the worst way and will be on the phone with me if needed. Not one person has said they wouldn't do all they could to be there if possible and if not to still draft or compete in that auction. I don't know what the next 14 days are going to bring, so I need more feedback via email and then we'll make the right call. Give me a little more time to hear from everyone.

Tom and I fly out tomorrow morning for New York City. I still hope to see you and others at Maverick's along with the Big East fans who are there all weekend as the Big East hasn't cancelled anything. And if not, we'll figure out a plan. Let me get working on all of this now.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 am

I cancelled my travel plans to NYC this morning. I'm 99.99% sure what I have is just a bad cold but I had fever last night and even if I feel better by Friday, I don't want to deal with airports like this. Also whatever it is, I'll still be contagious on Friday and I don't think anyone wants to risk catching what I have either and then have trouble flying back home.

Best case scenario would obviously be to do the auction online but I don't want to ruin the live experience for those that can make it so I'm trying to find a replacement for the $2,500 Auction otherwise I'll do it over the phone with Greg or Tom.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am

Greg - the $2500 auction is the only nyc auction I’m in this year. If you need a body for whatever reason I’m around.

Mike

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 am

Greg - I'm glad to hear that the plan still is to move forward with NYC this weekend (and, hopefully, Vegas next weekend). I'm definitely planning to attend if it's on. Really looking forward to drafting and seeing everyone.

Similar to Mike's post above, I'll have some extra time on Saturday after the Main if you need another body to help with anything.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 am

I will be live in Vegas. Period. Flying in Thursday afternoon. I have one Auction Thursday morning and the main Saturday as is my normal schedule.

If I need to pick up another or if I can help while I am there in anyway, I will and can.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 am

mdecav wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am
Greg - the $2500 auction is the only nyc auction I’m in this year. If you need a body for whatever reason I’m around.

Mike
I can't say how much I love the NFBC community. If it wasn't for the personal relationships I would have been retired long ago. This is what keeps me going. And I really mean that.

THANKS MIKE. THANKS MIKE MAGER. If we can line up enough proxies I think we can get through this. I'm on the emails to New York drafters next and will have an update. We will be there in New York City tomorrow and look forward to sharing beers with you guys.

I can't say it enough: THANKS.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 am
I will be live in Vegas. Period. Flying in Thursday afternoon. I have one Auction Thursday morning and the main Saturday as is my normal schedule.

If I need to pick up another or if I can help while I am there in anyway, I will and can.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:02 am

Good to hear, Wayne. Feel the same way. If there are planes flying, and drafts being held, I will be in Vegas, too. Period. Looking forward to seeing you and others there.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am

Looking forward to NYC Friday and Vegas the following week.

Sack

Post by Sack » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am

I'm treating this for what I perceive it - a media driven overreaction. Disagree if you want,
I'm not attacking anybody and expect the same in return.

I'll be in NYC and Las Vegas and have zero fears. I'll work with what Greg, Tom, and Darik
wish to do regarding both drafts and auctions.

Travel safe all.

Ken M

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:34 am

while greg will be at mavericks...rest of us will be at mustangs:)

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 am

FWIW I will be in Vegas next week, won't cancel unless you do...
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:40 am

Just like Vontae Mack, I'm going to Vegas no matter what. I'm booked for 8 drafts in 4 days, but will do whatever I can to help out, proxy, etc. Can't wait to see everyone out in the desert!
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"

craiggebz

Post by craiggebz » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 am

Ill be there all weekend Friday 1pm til Sunday night rocking out with my cock out. I support anyones decision to come or not, especially if they are flying. For me its an hour and a half train ride from Suffolk county Long Island so its an easy decision for me. No stress, fun weekend ahead lets all work together and try to enjoy it the best we can. Ive been waiting for this since last year. Draft day is the best day! 🎄

Cheers and safe travels!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am

Sack wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am
I'm treating this for what I perceive it - a media driven overreaction. Disagree if you want,
I'm not attacking anybody and expect the same in return.

I'll be in NYC and Las Vegas and have zero fears. I'll work with what Greg, Tom, and Darik
wish to do regarding both drafts and auctions.

Travel safe all.

Ken M
AMEN! AND A BIG PLUS FUCKING 1!
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 am

The World Health Organization has officially declared this a global pandemic. Reports from Italy, who also badly mismanaged their response, are not encouraging currently and they're taking drastic steps now that containment is all but impossible. You get a real sense that a lot of people are whistling past the graveyard when they talk about Corona. In light of that, the relatively cavalier attitude expressed by some about the elderly or those with underlying health issues is not surprising, but still in very poor taste, IMO. I read that more than 60% of American adults have comorbidities that could complicate their recovery. I have a non-obvious medical condition and I think that's true of many in the NFBC demographic.

My mom lives in Vegas and she's 85. There's no way I'm going to see her after getting on a plane and walking through McCarran Airport. My alternative is a 13 hour drive from Greeley that could be much longer if I catch snow coming through the mountains. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet and a lot can happen in the next week. I've already explored the idea of having a proxy represent me at the $2500 auction. That's my only live event this year.

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 pm

I disagree that this is a media over-reaction. We’re now in a pandemic in a country that was slow to react to an impending crisis. I think personal reactions may be different depending on age and geographic location. You may feel more insulated if you’re younger and in an area where the disease is less prevalent. But diseases can change (ask Magic Johnson).

Here in California sporting events are being canceled, schools and churches closed, cultural events canceled. The Warriors games in SF suspended until further notice, the Mariners relocating their home games. It’s my opinion that we’re not taking this seriously enough.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Greg, I'll be in NY Thursday night thur Sat night , can fill in any draft needed by my 2 personnal drafts(can I draft against myself ?) :D SEE U TOMORROW.

pigsrus

Post by pigsrus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 pm

I will be in Vegas next week. Not even a thought on not attending.

Lindy Hinkelman

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Roy's Outlaws wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm
Greg, I'll be in NY Thursday night thur Sat night , can fill in any draft needed by my 2 personnal drafts(can I draft against myself ?) :D SEE U TOMORROW.
Thanks Roy. I'll put you on the list as a possible proxy. Thanks man and I really appreciate it.

I've heard from so many New Yorkers today and it's uplifting. We think we have a handle on what to expect, but maybe more will come. Obviously in New York the big problem is having enough proxies between 2:30 pm $2500 Auction and 4 pm $1400 Auction. 9 am looks really good right now and we should be fine there. I think Saturday and Sunday look okay now too, but we might hear from a couple more.

So if you can be a proxy at 4 pm even to get us through the early rounds before the Ultimate draft at 8 pm that would be helpful. Contact me, Tom or Darik and we'll keep you on the list.

This is the best fantasy sports community in the industry. No doubt about it. Stay in contact with me everyone so that there are no surprises, but as of right now we are trending forward in a positive way.

A dozen owners have elected to draft Mains Online and that number may go up, but that's not unexpected because we had several owners who were flying in for Tout and drafting live with us. When they cancelled Tout Wars all of them have gone online. But that's a minor inconvenience and just gives all of us more room to spread out.

I'll stay on top of this. Fingers crossed.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:42 pm

pigsrus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 pm
I will be in Vegas next week. Not even a thought on not attending.

Lindy Hinkelman
Great to hear Champ.

This isn't like Swine Flu is it? Are pigs to blame for this one? I don't think so, but thought I'd ask a (retired) pig farmer. :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 pm

I won’t make it to the Stewart in time to help with the $2500 but may be there in time to help with some or possibly all of the 4 PM auction if a proxy is needed.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Ultrarunner wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I won’t make it to the Stewart in time to help with the $2500 but may be there in time to help with some or possibly all of the 4 PM auction if a proxy is needed.
Sounds good Dan. We'd take you up on that for 4 pm. Just run faster around Central Park to get there!!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius