MLB Season Postponed (edit: official)

King of Queens

MLB Season Postponed (edit: official)

Post by King of Queens » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:46 pm

With tonight’s announcement that the NBA season has been suspended, it seems very likely that MLB will follow suit.

I want to address a very specific situation. If drafts occur this weekend (New York, Chicago and Online), and MLB postpones their season on Monday, are we going forward with drafts in Las Vegas and Online thereafter?

Furthermore, will the drafts that already occurred be nullified?
Last edited by King of Queens on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gekko

Re: MLB Season Postponed?

Post by Gekko » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 pm

NBA suspended.
NHL suspended.

Once one does it, they rest fall like dominos.

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 pm

the NHL season isn't suspended as far I can see... where are you seeing that...

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Chthroop wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 pm
the NHL season isn't suspended as far I can see... where are you seeing that...
Tomorrow they will announce

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 pm

King of Queens wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:46 pm
With tonight’s announcement that the NBA season has been suspended, it seems very likely that MLB will follow suit.

I want to address a very specific situation. If drafts occur this weekend (New York, Chicago and Online), and MLB postpones their season on Monday, are we going forward with drafts in Las Vegas and Online thereafter?

Furthermore, will the drafts that already occurred be nullified?
It's harder for baseball.
Arms have to be stretched. Timing has to be down before players can play.
Before May 1 or whatever the postponement date, where would players do this?
A mini-spring training again?
Tough nut.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Tough nut.
Yes, there would need to be an abridged spring training (much like the lockout year).

I am praying that MLB makes an announcement tomorrow prior to the Solo Shots, Auction Championships and Main Events.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:24 pm

King of Queens wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Tough nut.
Yes, there would need to be an abridged spring training (much like the lockout year).

I am praying that MLB makes an announcement tomorrow prior to the Solo Shots, Auction Championships and Main Events.
Fingers Crossed!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm

MLB is going to postpone the start of the season. They will have no choice now that the NBA and NHL have done so. If a single player gets the Coronavirus, they would stop the season on the spot anyway. This is a game that has tons of fan interaction with autographs and pictures before games. Having nothing to do whether any of us want to attend live drafts or not, this is something that needs attention quickly. How can we have drafts in March for games that won’t even start until May or even July.

TheSeige

Post by TheSeige » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 pm

What would even happen if the season start was suspended tomorrow? Would NY continue drafting?

RobSilver

Post by RobSilver » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 pm

The MLB season is not starting March 26th - there is no doubt they will get there in the hours or days to come.

Does the season start May 1st? June 1st?

Entirely unknowable today.

How many games is the season?

Also unknowable.

Given the amount of money involved in the NFBC, I would strongly suggest that drafts should not be held until there is more certainty on what we are drafting for.

As has been mentioned, there will have to be some kind of a ramp up whenever the season is starting - we can hold the Mains and highstake stand-alone leagues online before the season starts.

I obviously feel horrible for Greg and his business but until there is more clarity around the season, we can’t hold highstakes drafts even online.

Dave Duncan

Post by Dave Duncan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:51 pm

I agree with Rob. I don't think you can currently run drafts/auctions and it is important that this is done before any drafts/auctions occur in NYC this weekend.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 pm

RobSilver wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 pm
The MLB season is not starting March 26th - there is no doubt they will get there in the hours or days to come.
Whole premise of his argument starts with an opinion stated as an absolute fact...similar to about 3 other posters on this thread stating opinions as absolute fact.

Completely contradicts the first statement above that the MLB Season is not starting Mar. 26th. And it very well may not. But it may. As stated, it is "unknowable."
How many games is the season? Also unknowable.

Given the amount of money involved in the NFBC, I would strongly suggest that drafts should not be held until there is more certainty on what we are drafting for.

Everything is "unknowable" BUT all drafts should cancelled. I would strongly suggest that drafts should be held until there is more certainty that games will actually be cancelled.
As has been mentioned, there will have to be some kind of a ramp up whenever the season is starting - we can hold the Mains and highstake stand-alone leagues online before the season starts.

I obviously feel horrible for Greg and his business but until there is more clarity around the season, we can’t hold highstakes drafts even online.
By my count I read two (2) unknowables. Maybe opinions should not be stated as absolute facts and then an entire argument being based around something readily acknowledged as being "unkowable." By my logic, it is more prudent to not make decisions based upon unknowable facts and mere opinions stated as fact, but rather to wait until more is, in fact, "knowable before just canceling drafts "because of the amount of (read: my) money involved in the NFBC." What if the MLB Season does start on Mar. 26th (without fans) and, as you have suggested, all drafts have been cancelled? Then what, genius? This may be the single dumbest post I have read in quite some time and that's saying a lot. I understand the fear is real, but do better than this.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:34 am

COZ wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 pm
RobSilver wrote:
Whole premise of his argument starts with an opinion stated as an absolute fact...similar to about 3 other posters on this thread stating opinions as absolute fact.

Completely contradicts the first statement above that the MLB Season is not starting Mar. 26th. And it very well may not. But it may. As stated, it is "unknowable."
How many games is the season? Also unknowable.

Everything is "unknowable" BUT all drafts should cancelled. I would strongly suggest that drafts should be held until there is more certainty that games will actually be cancelled.

By my count I read two (2) unknowables. Maybe opinions should not be stated as absolute facts and then an entire argument being based around something readily acknowledged as being "unkowable." By my logic, it is more prudent to not make decisions based upon unknowable facts and mere opinions stated as fact, but rather to wait until more is, in fact, "knowable before just canceling drafts "because of the amount of (read: my) money involved in the NFBC." What if the MLB Season does start on Mar. 26th (without fans) and, as you have suggested, all drafts have been cancelled? Then what, genius? This may be the single dumbest post I have read in quite some time and that's saying a lot. I understand the fear is real, but do better than this.

Thank you, COZ, for at least once being the lesser idiot on here. :lol: Agree 100%! Well-stated counselor.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:41 am

Chinese Basketball Association, which had previously suspended play, is in the process of resuming play in early April so the epicenter is ramping up their sports.

Here there are rational steps that can be taken. I have absolute confidence in Greg and Tom and Darik and team. We will know more today (i.e. baseball's position) or at least soon. We will have baseball. We will have the NFBC.

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:55 am

“Major League Baseball teams are preparing for more local governments to implement bans on large gatherings, placing opening day into question”

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42 am

Draft/auctions as scheduled.

If start of season is delayed, it’s delayed. Less time for players to get hurt, more time for injured players to come back. Build this into your plan.

All this “what if” bullshit is wasted noise

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 am

Ultrarunner wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42 am
Draft/auctions as scheduled.

If start of season is delayed, it’s delayed. Less time for players to get hurt, more time for injured players to come back. Build this into your plan.

All this “what if” bullshit is wasted noise
Plus one...
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 am

MLB executives aren't slated to discuss how they’ll proceed until a Friday conference call, per Passan. However, with the NBA shutting itself down and the National Hockey League possibly poised to make a similar announcement on Thursday, perhaps MLB will reach a decision on how it will move forward sooner than expected. The hope is that the league will come up with a plan “within days,” three high-level team officials told Passan.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 am

la Jolla wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm
MLB is going to postpone the start of the season. They will have no choice now that the NBA and NHL have done so. If a single player gets the Coronavirus, they would stop the season on the spot anyway. This is a game that has tons of fan interaction with autographs and pictures before games. Having nothing to do whether any of us want to attend live drafts or not, this is something that needs attention quickly. How can we have drafts in March for games that won’t even start until May or even July.
+1000

There may be MLB players infected now; however they haven't been tested yet, ie, "they don't have it".
Last edited by Gekko on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 am

RobSilver wrote:

How many games is the season?

Also unknowable.

what, you don't want to put down 15K on a platimum team, draft the team next weekend and find out the season isn't starting until May or June or July? How dare you, Rob!

Whatever decision the NFBC makes, hopefully they are also considering how their decision could impact how quickly people signup for leagues next year. maybe people wait until the week before live events to sign up so that they don't risk getting burned.

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:26 am

Or maybe we sign up and play as normal knowing that the decisions we make likely will have zero impact on the outcome so we decide to live life as it happens

Or maybe we get hit by a bus or die of a terminal disease mid-season.

I’m too old to let a media driven panic dictate my life. I’ve been blown up, shot at more times than I care, and have survived (so far) metastatic cancer.

Unless they cancel the whole season (which I don’t see happening), I see no reason not to proceed as planned

Anyone who disagrees and would rather not draft this or next weekend is free to make their own decisions. You be you

craiggebz

Post by craiggebz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:42 am

This is purely what the fuck do we do moment? My job for example is limiting building hours to 5 a day to avoid rush hours. This will last until May 1st. They will assess what else to do as we go. Like Italy, we are trending on a complete lockdown as a country. If drafts happen and there is a major change to the season, is it only fair to nullify those drafts? I’m pretty sure there will be ample time to redraft if people would like. I really dont know how I feel about it. Thoughts?

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 am

It only takes a few owners to be skittish that a draft/auction can’t occur. I think it is more likely than not Opening Day will be pushed. Given that, we should delay all live events until we know what is what. My guess is that is what happens. We can always do these things online.

Ultrarunner

Post by Ultrarunner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am

mdecav wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 am
It only takes a few owners to be skittish that a draft/auction can’t occur. I think it is more likely than not Opening Day will be pushed. Given that, we should delay all live events until we know what is what. My guess is that is what happens. We can always do these things online.
And if the season starts as normal and MLB does what the NCAA is doing with live events with no spectators beyond players’ families? What then?

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am

I want to draft as much as anyone else. This situation sucks. Please just take into consideration that if we draft this weekend and the season gets postponed to a later date, how will things be handled ahead of time. Will we scrap the drafts we do this weekend and redraft when we know the season will restart or will we be stuck with the rosters we have no matter what. This needs to be decided today. If the season starts in July, Aaron Judge and Mike Clevinger will be back healthy and be second round picks. Several other players fall into the same situation and we need to draft knowing how this will be handled.