Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Gb2715

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Gb2715 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:42 pm

MLB’s antibody test is bad news. Was hoping for a bigger group of people already having the virus.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 am

Why?
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 am

Gb2715 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:42 pm
MLB’s antibody test is bad news. Was hoping for a bigger group of people already having the virus.
I don't see this as bad news. I mean, if 10% of MLB personnel had tested positive and had the antibodies, it wouldn't have quickly opened the season. That wouldn't be a big enough sample size to just get everyone back on the field. Now we know a very small percentage of MLB officials have had coronavirus and likely have built up antibodies. That's it.

Herd immunity isn't the answer for baseball, anyway. It's testing, testing, testing as often as needed to keep everyone healthy and then tracing who was in contact with someone who is positive. MLB can return if quick testing is available to everyone in the country as MLB can't get it before everyone else. It's the same dilemma for the NBA. If we can figure out the quick testing availability, baseball can return without fans and then hopefully with some fans.

I'm still hopeful, but we need faster progress than we've seen these last couple of weeks. Time is getting tighter for a somewhat robust regular season.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am

Owners are voting on a proposal to present to the players today. This sure looks more concrete than any plan we've seen so far and it would consist of an 82-game season because there is the fear of a second wave in the Fall that could make it tough to complete the post-season:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 107614001/

Any thoughts on this idea?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon May 11, 2020 11:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am
Owners are voting on a proposal to present to the players today. This sure looks more concrete than any plan we've seen so far and it would consist of an 82-game season because there is the fear of a second wave in the Fall that could make it tough to complete the post-season:

I’d prefer a longer season that goes to neutral southern sites in October/November, but what are NFBCs thoughts on an 82-game season and what will constitute an official season if we’re cut short?

That has to have been decided by now.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Mon May 11, 2020 12:32 pm

The Wardog is good with an 82 game season and will still fire up his scheduled 4 main event tickets. We big game hunting for that 150k here in Wardog Nation

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

1. Assuming it happens, this will be a wild ride for sure. Possibility of: some teams playing in different home ballparks, the Astros facing the Dodgers 6 times, top prospects playing the entire season, full-time DHs, expanded rosters, teams deploying different in-game strategies to win games, etc
2. I'm in for at least one main event. It's been a while since i looked over the boards; however has it been announced if the 150K grand prize will remain? If so, I can see myself having 3-5 teams (depending on what other faab leagues are offered)
3. I will be happy to support live NYC main events or Super Auction
4. I will be happy to support live LV main events or Super Auction

Looking forward to getting baseball started.

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Time to discuss the elephant in the room that is early drafts before the ChinaVirus took hold of our lives. The fact is all early-drafters drafted according to a set of rules based upon a 163-game season with minimum IP & position eligibility requirements set accordingly. Further, a 162 game MLB schedule had been released & the contest was based upon this schedule. Assuming an 82-game schedule, that means we are cutting the season in half and there has been discussion & affirmative acknowledgment by Greg of ex post facto changing the rules by reducing minimum IP & position eligibility requirements pro rata. While this is logical & only makes sense, the problem is nobody signed up for a contests & drafted based upon a reduced schedule & these rule changes ex post facto. While a tough financial decision for SportsHub, Inc. that will likely cost significant lost revenue, the fact is, all, and if not all, then at least all contests with an entry fee over $500 should be cancelled & rendered null & void, with refunds given. People can re-draft knowing the new schedule, rules, etc. In my opinion, this is the only proper and equitable decision to be made. Further, the rules specifically address a situation such as this, and thus, SportsHub Games Network, Inc. pursuant to this clause, should exercise their right to terminate all NFBC leagues & contests created prior to the cancellation of games. And if cancelling ALL contests is too much of a quagmire, then at least the higher dollar contests ($500 or $1000 DC's) need to be cancelled. It is the only fair & equitable remedy to this situation. Indeed, per the rules:

Cancellation
At its sole discretion, SportsHub Games Network, Inc. reserves the right to terminate any NFBC game, event or league at any time prior to the completion of the season due to any acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, change in applicable law, interruption of the season (including strikes, lockouts and/or use of replacement players), or any other situation beyond the control of SportsHub Games Network, Inc.. In the event of any such termination by SportsHub Games Network, Inc., all entry fees will be refunded, with the exception of any live event fees (if such live event has already occurred).

And before anyone attempts to shame early drafters by saying that is the risk of drafting early & thus you assumed the risk, let me just say that yes there is risk in drafting early mainly based on injury or performance and one that I willingly assume, but that is different than significantly changing the number of games & the rules of the contest after the fact. Nobody signed up for that risk. Further, the argument that we are all in the "same boat," and nobody is at a competitive disadvantage because we are all playing by the same set of rules & number of games, I would just say again nobody signed up for that & drafted a team based upon a different set of rules. It is impossible to quantify what effect drafting based upon a 163-game schedule versus an 82-game schedule really has, but to claim there is no difference & everyone is operating by the same set of rules & circumstances is just being intellectually dishonest and ignoring the actual rules in place at the time we drafted. While this is a very tough decision for the powers that be, it is one that need not be taken lightly just because everyone is giddy by the possibility of baseball being played.

P.S. And before any attempts to attack my personal motive for this post, no I do not have any shares of Chris Sale or Luis Severino either so you can shove that argument up your you-know-what.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm

My question is what is ex post facto?

Wasn’t that a dodgeball quote?

No, that was ipso facto.....

I’m completely confused
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 11, 2020 5:41 pm

It is true that we did not draft for an 82 game schedule and I can understand the angst.
When drafting, we contemplated a 162 game season. That is a good point.

At the same time, we all make the choice of how much money we want to put into these contests.
To say that $500 or $1000 contestants in drafts should be 'saved' while those in lower price leagues should not, would not be fair.
We're all in this together Whether it be those that enter 10 $150 DC's or one $1,000 league.
Greg should make the decision on whether all leagues will 'count'.
That decision should not be based on the size of the dollar in each league, but applying fairness to all who drafted in prior leagues.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm

COZ wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm
Time to discuss the elephant in the room that is early drafts before the ChinaVirus took hold of our lives. The fact is all early-drafters drafted according to a set of rules based upon a 163-game season with minimum IP & position eligibility requirements set accordingly. Further, a 162 game MLB schedule had been released & the contest was based upon this schedule. Assuming an 82-game schedule, that means we are cutting the season in half and there has been discussion & affirmative acknowledgment by Greg of ex post facto changing the rules by reducing minimum IP & position eligibility requirements pro rata. While this is logical & only makes sense, the problem is nobody signed up for a contests & drafted based upon a reduced schedule & these rule changes ex post facto. While a tough financial decision for SportsHub, Inc. that will likely cost significant lost revenue, the fact is, all, and if not all, then at least all contests with an entry fee over $500 should be cancelled & rendered null & void, with refunds given. People can re-draft knowing the new schedule, rules, etc. In my opinion, this is the only proper and equitable decision to be made. Further, the rules specifically address a situation such as this, and thus, SportsHub Games Network, Inc. pursuant to this clause, should exercise their right to terminate all NFBC leagues & contests created prior to the cancellation of games. And if cancelling ALL contests is too much of a quagmire, then at least the higher dollar contests ($500 or $1000 DC's) need to be cancelled. It is the only fair & equitable remedy to this situation. Indeed, per the rules:

Cancellation
At its sole discretion, SportsHub Games Network, Inc. reserves the right to terminate any NFBC game, event or league at any time prior to the completion of the season due to any acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, change in applicable law, interruption of the season (including strikes, lockouts and/or use of replacement players), or any other situation beyond the control of SportsHub Games Network, Inc.. In the event of any such termination by SportsHub Games Network, Inc., all entry fees will be refunded, with the exception of any live event fees (if such live event has already occurred).

And before anyone attempts to shame early drafters by saying that is the risk of drafting early & thus you assumed the risk, let me just say that yes there is risk in drafting early mainly based on injury or performance and one that I willingly assume, but that is different than significantly changing the number of games & the rules of the contest after the fact. Nobody signed up for that risk. Further, the argument that we are all in the "same boat," and nobody is at a competitive disadvantage because we are all playing by the same set of rules & number of games, I would just say again nobody signed up for that & drafted a team based upon a different set of rules. It is impossible to quantify what effect drafting based upon a 163-game schedule versus an 82-game schedule really has, but to claim there is no difference & everyone is operating by the same set of rules & circumstances is just being intellectually dishonest and ignoring the actual rules in place at the time we drafted. While this is a very tough decision for the powers that be, it is one that need not be taken lightly just because everyone is giddy by the possibility of baseball being played.

P.S. And before any attempts to attack my personal motive for this post, no I do not have any shares of Chris Sale or Luis Severino either so you can shove that argument up your you-know-what.
On the other hand, a lot of finite time and thought was put into those drafts.

And I am more OK rolling with the decisions I made back then and the time spent (including having a Severino and a few other hurt guys) than having all of that work wiped and asked to start again on short notice, especially with football on the horizon. I have no desire to go back and re-draft teams I've already drafted.

If you believed in your research and the relative value of Player A over Player B to begin with, that shouldn't change a whole lot in a shorter season other than injuries and playing time - which are unknowns and guesstimates anyway, even in a normal season.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon May 11, 2020 9:38 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm
COZ wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Cancellation

On the other hand, a lot of finite time and thought was put into those drafts.

And I am more OK rolling with the decisions I made back then and the time spent (including having a Severino and a few other hurt guys) than having all of that work wiped and asked to start again on short notice, especially with football on the horizon. I have no desire to go back and re-draft teams I've already drafted.

If you believed in your research and the relative value of Player A over Player B to begin with, that shouldn't change a whole lot in a shorter season other than injuries and playing time - which are unknowns and guesstimates anyway, even in a normal season.
A big +1 and thank you, KJ. And I'll add the last thing we need right now is excessive "over-lawyering" of these contests . The entire situation sucks bad enough as it is, and introducing more chaos into it right now isn't going to help anyone. So while there is an element that Greg and Tom are facing of "damned if they do, damned if they don't", the TrumpVirus wasn't their fault. Putting the NFBC into a possible financial dilemma which may affect them even having the contest return at all next season is a short-sighted and dangerous gamble. I mean refunding Heberlig's drafts alone is enough to probably bankrupt the company. :shock: :lol: I also echo what Dough said as well. It's an all or nothing proposition when it comes to all of the earlier drafts that were done. It's the only way that it would be fair. For me, it's a big, 100% ALL IN as I have been since day one, and I haven't wavered one iota from this unlike some people on here now waving the rah-rah flags for the Main Event and live high-stakes contests now that things are apparently going to be "safe". All I can say is that even if I had to wear a fucking hazmat suit, I'll be leading the charge to set up, promote, and have live NFBC events. 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:12 am

I think that was the basis for my earlier response, that is we should roll with what we drafted in the Draft Champions. The rules changed the same for everyone
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 12, 2020 7:41 am

mdecav wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:53 am
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

I’d prefer a longer season that goes to neutral southern sites in October/November, but what are NFBCs thoughts on an 82-game season and what will constitute an official season if we’re cut short?

That has to have been decided by now.
Sorry for the delayed response, but I actually took yesterday afternoon off for a little celebration. I know that's tough to do in bad times, but what the hell, I did it anyway!! ;)

Yes, we have thoughts on what constitutes a full NFBC season going forward and it's a certain percentage of scheduled games that MLB dictates constitutes their upcoming season. Let's see what they finalize with the players first before announcing. This 82-game proposal is just that, a proposal from the owners. The players may ask for more games since salaries could be based on the length of the season, so let's see what comes of the negotiations. If this all falls apart over money, baseball may get a black eye that will be tough to recover from. Figure it out boys and let's get a safe season if that's possible.

We will make all announcements once MLB finalizes its plans. I'd rather do that than keep making decisions based on speculations. We have time to get this right, as does MLB, so let's do it at the right time.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

steveymer2

Post by steveymer2 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks, Greg!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 am

I'm not a lawyer and I've never played one on TV, so I need to smartly reply to all good lawyers on our Message Boards. I think we're all in the same boat in this unique community in that we're all at the mercy of Major League Baseball, the coronavirus and our governments (state and federal). No one is to blame, but everyone is affected.

So hopefully everyone understands that and we all make the best decisions to finish this season and still have future seasons. I'm not sure how many companies in this industry last if baseball and football go away for a year or two. You can't have payroll expenses, credit card fees, rent, insurance, and all other expenses for 12-24 months if you have no revenue. Every day we keep coming to work with the idea that baseball and football will have seasons in 2020 and we are working accordingly, so anything outside of that would be tough.

That being said, we've already refunded well over $1 million to all customers who requested money back on undrafted teams. That includes live auction leagues that were cancelled and any Main Event, Solo Shot, Super, Ultimate, Diamond or Platinum entries. We still hope to host most of those leagues going forward, but the private leagues only go forward if we can get full leagues, obviously.

We intend to keep the Main Event prizes as is and will guarantee the $150,000 grand prize, even though 141 owners have already requested refunds. This contest was going to be a sellout with 600+ teams this year, but now it will be tough to get 500+ teams. That being said, several owners said they needed the money now, but expected to return if baseball returns. Hopefully that's the case, but you never know as an 82-game season may not be as appealing now. We hope so, but again, we are at the mercy of MLB to tell us what a regular season in 2020 looks like.

A greater percentage of owners requested refunds for the Solo Shot, so we definitely will have to reassess that contest going forward. That's a tough one as we love the single-entry concept and the lower price point, but we went from 145 teams to 90 teams in a hurry. We will make this call shortly.

The four completed national contests -- the NFBC Draft Champions, the NFBC Cutline Championship, the Rotowire Online Championship and the NFBC Online Auction Championship -- had all owners drafting under the same guidelines between November and April. We set hard deadlines to end all of those contests before anyone knew for sure when the new Opening Day would be. All prizes are guaranteed even though not all of those contests sold out. Yes, MLB is changing the number of games, and yes we are changing the minimum innings pitched limit at the same percentage of total games, but we are mirroring the MLB regular season and counting stats accordingly. Game on.

Stay safe everyone. We WILL get through this and meet again for live events once again. I hope it's sooner rather than later, but I have no idea. We all wanted a 162-game season in 2020 and had planned for it. Now we're hoping for baseball even if it looks like the KBO right now. Hopefully when baseball returns you will return for a sprint that will be unlike any baseball season in MLB history. It could be wild, it could be fun and it could be memorable. I'm hopeful it returns and with it the return of the NFBC. See you on the other side.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 am

No one was drafting potential NL DH’s in earlier drafts. We were all on the same playing field. And don’t sweat the Main Event Greg. Everyone I know is going to pile entries into it once this gets figured out. I’m more worried about the MLB Players Association being rational, but let’s remain optimistic and hopeful we get to play NFBC soon.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 am

This is a pretty thorough look at MLB's current situation and how important the next two weeks of negotiations is going to be:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/291 ... eally-ugly

Well done Jeff Passan. I hope they listen to you on many of these points.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am

As expected, players/agents are willing to play more games if salaries are based on a share of revenue. Agent Scott Boras weighs in:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... -autopilot
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed May 13, 2020 10:14 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am
As expected, players/agents are willing to play more games if salaries are based on a share of revenue. Agent Scott Boras weighs in:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... -autopilot
I see no logical reason why we can't have a 120-game or so season if everything can be done safely.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed May 13, 2020 2:52 pm

How about an optimistic logistics question that will also serve as a bit of a distraction from the nonsense and focus more on our game?
And forgive me if this has been asked before, but....

If we do get an abbreviated season underway, has there been any thought to reducing/prorating the amount of games needed to gain eligibility?

For example, its been projected that Sogard should take over 3B in Milwaukee. Waiting 10 games in a 162...no big deal...but in an 80ish....?
Thoughts?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Atlas wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:52 pm
How about an optimistic logistics question that will also serve as a bit of a distraction from the nonsense and focus more on our game?
And forgive me if this has been asked before, but....

If we do get an abbreviated season underway, has there been any thought to reducing/prorating the amount of games needed to gain eligibility?

For example, its been projected that Sogard should take over 3B in Milwaukee. Waiting 10 games in a 162...no big deal...but in an 80ish....?
Thoughts?
Yes, we have addressed this in Q&A threads, but we will make the new eligibility games played this season appropriate to the number of scheduled games. If it's 50% of the games, then the in-season new position eligibility will be 5 games, not 10 games. Hope that helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Mike Kelstrom

Post by Mike Kelstrom » Sun May 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Outstanding post by Greg in his explanation on May 12, just as everything that Greg, Tom and team have done has been outstanding throughout this nightmare of a year. (and every year in this game we love).

The argumentative tone of some of the posts regarding the fact that the fantasy game will not be the same with a reduced schedule is disappointing. First, such arguments are not even addressing a “done deal schedule”. All of the ideas floating around about an 82 game schedule are simply that – ideas, which have a myriad of obstacles – health and safety, local and state regulations, approval by the MLBPA, logistics that defy enumeration, etc., etc. For the sake of our enjoyment of baseball, let's hope that something gets done, but it is very far from a forgone conclusion that it will.

If, in the best case scenario, there is something along the lines of an 80 game schedule we need to recognize two realities -

1) Is it a different fantasy game with a shortened schedule? – Absolutely, without question, in a multitude of ways. (injuries good/bad; the fact that prospects won't have time to develop further and contribute, possible universal DH, the need to “win now” which probably will load rosters towards veterans who can contribute immediately, no minor leagues, very short
player leashes, and many more)

2) If 2020 were really the “end of the world”, would the “fairest” thing to do be to scrap everything and refund all contests since the game has changed? – Yes. HOWEVER, WE
CANNOT ALLOW FOR 2020 TO BE THE END OF THE WORLD, and those of us who love
NFBC/NFFC need for it to be here next year, and the year after, and ad infinitum. If everything were scrapped, that would be very difficult, as the company has had severe financial constraints already, as Greg touched on. Being a CPA, perhaps I am more attuned to that than otherwise,
and the concessions already made to we players have been gracious.

We as players need to put aside our self interests, appreciate the phenomenal service that has been provided to us, and look forward to enjoying our fantasy passion through NFBC/NFFC for whatever 2020 brings, and many years to come. Will 2020 be totally “fair” - No, but LIFE IS NOT FAIR, not remotely by any measurement. It will be different, and in some ways – fun --- can you imagine the first FAAB bidding period?. That alone is worth looking forward to.

So, let's hope better days are ahead for us all – and look forward to resuming our passion for baseball and NFBC, escaping our boredom, and try to enjoy this game in a collective spirit of unity, again with great appreciation to Greg and Tom for making possible the enjoyment it brings to our lives.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun May 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Gekko wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:31 pm
Southern Comfort wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 pm

You can tell an owner "well he always injured you should not have drafted him" you cannot say "well you should have known that DeGrom you paid $40 for is now gonna throw the same innings and get the same wins as........Rich Hill lmao".
i only drafted 3 leagues this offseason, my lowest number by far. i have rich hill on all 3 teams. degrom on zero ;)
Rich Hill (elbow) said Friday that he expects to be ready whenever the 2020 season begins.

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 am

Cotton1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm
My question is what is ex post facto?

Wasn’t that a dodgeball quote?

No, that was ipso facto.....

I’m completely confused
Res Ipsa Loquitur, pal.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci