Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Open Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am

Frozen Tundra wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 am
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:23 am
105,000 dead and 40 million unemployed and owners and players are haggling over money. What a truly pathetic look for baseball.
Exactly right.
Not exactly.
Owners are pushing a shortened season agenda.
The players want that like we want that.
Haggling would be a good thing.
That would imply that owners are listening.
It would imply give and take.
So far, there really hasn't been much of that.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am
Frozen Tundra wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 am
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:23 am
105,000 dead and 40 million unemployed and owners and players are haggling over money. What a truly pathetic look for baseball.
Exactly right.
Not exactly.
Owners are pushing a shortened season agenda.
The players want that like we want that.
Haggling would be a good thing.
That would imply that owners are listening.
It would imply give and take.
So far, there really hasn't been much of that.
Good article by ESPN's Jeff Passan that says the two sides are haggling over what amounts to $10 million per team. That doesn't seem like enough to implode the sport in 2020.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/292 ... s-solve-it

The middle ground is 82 games and allowing some fans to attend games could make those projected losses not so bad. Restaurants are easily filling at 25-50% capacity, so why can't MLB ballparks have 5,000-10,000 per game? This is a bad look for the league, but I still have hope that an 82-game season is the middle ground needed to make 2020 work. We need it or 2021 is in jeopardy and then 2022 is a labor war once the CBA ends. Yikes. Get it together baseball.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:10 am

The worst part is the lack of urgency.
It doesn't seem like there is a chomping at the bit to play or have players play.
The fan is looking more forward to the product than those that are producing that product.
Frustrating as Hell.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:10 am
The worst part is the lack of urgency.
It doesn't seem like there is a chomping at the bit to play or have players play.
The fan is looking more forward to the product than those that are producing that product.
Frustrating as Hell.
100,000% agree Dan. If you owned this product, would you act this way? Not a chance.

The country needs and wants baseball right now. There is a collective bargaining agreement in place for 2020 and 2021. Own up owners and let's play. And slowly more and more fans will be allowed into games. This can be done and still make 2020 historic.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am
Restaurants are easily filling at 25-50% capacity, so why can't MLB ballparks have 5,000-10,000 per game?
So, the Tampa Rays would be business as usual? :lol:
If they can make money with a 25% full stadium then every team should as well.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Has a minimum number of MLB games played for NFBC to move forward been discussed? If 82, are we good to go? If 50 is everything canceled? I apologize if this was already discussed, let's hope tomorrow they all come to there senses and announce a 114 game season. :)

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 pm
Has a minimum number of MLB games played for NFBC to move forward been discussed? If 82, are we good to go? If 50 is everything canceled? I apologize if this was already discussed, let's hope tomorrow they all come to there senses and announce a 114 game season. :)
This has not been openly decided, nor if they decide to play what happens if a lot of (already well-paid) stars decide to sit this season out. Nothing will be decided until an agreement is reached.

The owners won’t go for 114 games because all they want to do is socialize the losses but privatize the gains.

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:17 am

Keeping the faith. I"m thinking 98 games as a fair compromise & it happens today.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:07 am

"...nor if they decide to play what happens if a lot of (already well-paid) stars decide to sit this season out."

Yeah, can you imagine Kershaw saying screw it, I'm not playing a 50-game schedule? Or if the White Sox get hit with the virus and many of those young stars everyone is reaching for (such as myself :)), go into quarantine for 2-weeks? Hopefully I diversified enough in all my leagues to handle this type of situation. lol

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:02 pm

Zero interest in playing in anything less than an 82 game schedule. Not crazy about that, but it'll be the equivalent of a 6 furlong sprint. Less than that has luck being a bigger factor than skill, and I'd have to take a hard pass. Plus, I have to say that being unable to go watch a game at Petco would be a huge turnoff.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:14 pm

This is getting worse by the day. We just need a decision from MLB one way or the other!!!

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Owners are stalling so they start August 1st, play for 2 months (50 games?), start playoffs in October and be done by November 1st. Players should come put now and say that's not happening, start in July or forget it, playing a 1/3 of the season is ridiculous.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Death toll now up to 110,000. Highest unemployment rate since the Depression. Important to remember the stalemate isn't about health and safety. It's entirely about money which considering all that's going on in our country right now and all the money the owners and players have and can make is beyond pathetic. The ignorance by both the owners and players could kill the sport. It certainly will do lasting damage beyond this season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm

There is going to be some type of season, question is how long, but we like owners can’t be short sighted and abandon NFBC and put them in danger of going out of business. Hell I bet many people here play DFS, this will be like 60 times longer than that, it won’t be ideal but it will be a test of adjustment and new strategies on the fly for all of us.

Let’s have a great season, because we will have one!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:34 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm
There is going to be some type of season, question is how long, but we like owners can’t be short sighted and abandon NFBC and put them in danger of going out of business. Hell I bet many people here play DFS, this will be like 60 times longer than that, it won’t be ideal but it will be a test of adjustment and new strategies on the fly for all of us.

Let’s have a great season, because we will have one!
Well-stated. This a HUGE +1 from me.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:24 pm

"abandon NFBC and put them in danger of going out of business"

Not sure I understand, who's abandoning the NFBC?

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 am

Yes, the billionaire owners don't seem to realize the damage they are doing to the value of their billion dollar franchises. In the midst of this nation's twin tragedies they are forfeiting the advantage baseball could have had by being first out of the gate and owning the sports world in July. Rather, they risk continuing the downward spiral of baseball's popularity that started with the strike of '81 and took a major blow in '94. Not playing this year due to arguing about money would truly be strike three for this great sport.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 am

From ESPN's Karl Ravech: MLB has made proposal to Players. 75 percent Prorated salary. 76 game season. Playoff pool money. No draft pick compensation for signing player. Season finishes September 27th. Post season ends at end of October. Significant move towards players demands and effort to play more.

Then USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted this: The #MLBPA considers #MLB's latest offer a "step backwards''. They guaranteed 50% pay with possibility of earning 75% prorated salary. Also in proposal, per @karlravechespn, 76-game season, playoff money and no draft pick compensation for free agency.

Okay, at least there is some movement towards a half season of play. Let's hope the two sides talk it through this week and get the game back on the field. At least today we are closer to a season than we were last week. Fingers crossed.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

jdryan

Post by jdryan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:24 am

76 games is fine with me, anything that keeps the NFBC going. Play ball!!!! I really wanted that July 4th start.
jody ryan

edsb41

Post by edsb41 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:32 am

75% prorated salary (50% if the postseason isn't completed). Another bad offer from the owners in attempt to split the union. Just giving themselves cover for when Manfred has to try to enforce a 48 game season.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 am

Bob Nightengale:
"MLB Players Association considers MLB's latest offer that includes 76-game season a 'step backwards".

Ouch, 1/2 season doesn't even sound like it will happen.

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:32 pm

“When morality comes up against profit, it is seldom that profit loses.”
― Shirley Chisholm
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:35 am

Ignore the noise. Nothing is real & it's all staged. All the news is fake. We are living through the greatest Military psy-op propaganda program ever waged upon the American people on all levels for many years including sports. All these reports about owners & players being divided is fake news. Nothing is real. People are going to need therapy once the darkness comes to light. Season will start July 4th with prorated salaries to celebrate our new Freedom from a controlling fiefdom seeking destroy America. You are witnessing a decades long take down of an evil evil Cabal that has ruled over the world with impunity. Think world history as we now know it being re-written & staged celebrity deaths for their protection. Think JFKJr, Princess Di, Elvis amongst others including a prominent athlete this year. We will have world peace. Crazy I know. Trust Coz. Trust Trump. I have inside intel that you would not believe if I told you. :shock:

Do not let your hearts be troubled, baseball fans. We have the Greatest Country in the World & the Greatest President Ever leading it. MtM amongst others are gonna need some major therapy once all is revealed. 8-)
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am

Coz - I don’t know about all of that, but I sure hope we are in leagues together this year!!!

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:16 am

Gekko wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am
Coz - I don’t know about all of that, but I sure hope we are in leagues together this year!!!
Likewise. I would think it’s crazy myself if I didn’t know otherwise & am having a hard time processing & believing it all. Corona is a total HOAX, take off the masks. George Floyd is alive amongst other major staged celebrity deaths over the years. People are going to experience major cognitive dissonance. We will have LIVE drafts with no masks or social distancing. Let’s all plan a huge blowout celebration next year. I will personally promise an appearance in Vegas at MtM’s party. We are finally gonna have our country back. Major arrests of elites dropping soon, don’t know when. It’s gonna be EPIC. Patriots are in control. Q is JFK Jr., confirmed. 8-)
Last edited by COZ on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
COZ